Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Heavy Bleeding

Just a question...
I have periods that last for up to ten days. About 1/2 of them are "heavy" flow days, so heavy that I normally use 1 pad every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. On the "light" days, I use 1 pad every 4-5 hours. Cramping symptoms fell like I am in the early stages of labor (I have had three pregnancies with four children). Is this normal?
Thanks!
Hi!
Your periods are not normal.  If you were my patient, I would do an ultrasound looking for polyps or fibroids or adenomyosis.  Any of these things, and other things too, can cause abnormally heavy and prolonged bleeding.  I would also check you for anemia!

Depending upon your wishes for fertility, and the findings on ultrasound, there are a wide variety of treatments that might really help reduce your symptoms.  One of the simplest and cheapest is birth control pills.

Go to your doctor because you don't have to continue this way!

Good luck!
Dr B