Aa
A
A
A
Close
Gynecology / Women's Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
I have had the IUD in place for 7 years now and I got my last period on Feb 13th and stopped on Feb 20th. My period was gone for 3 days and I started spotting on Feb 24th until today. Im scared that there will be something wrong with it or I may have become pregnant. Please advise if this symphtoms are common
1 Responses
603463 tn?1220630455
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!
It is fairly common for women to have an "unusual" cycle now and then.  I always recommend a pregnancy test as the first step.  If that is negative, in your case, I would then wait and see what happens.  If the spotting goes away and nothing else happens, I would not think much about it at all.  If it becomes a pattern, and you have spotting with each cycle, or the bleeding is prolonged ( more that 8 days) or very heavy, it could be a sign of infection or other problem, and you should go in a see your MD.

I am assuming that you do not have a Mirena IUD as those only last for five years--if you have that one, you better go on in now!

Good luck!
Dr B
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.