Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Medroxyprogesterone dosage

My D.O. just prescribed Medroxyprogesterone at my request; I had been on this before for PCOS, but I don't think it was prescribed to me in the correct way as I remember.  The prescription is written to take 1 tablet(10mg) by mouth once daily.  I don't think I am to take this every day for 30 days, so could you tell me what the correct dosage is for this problem and when do I begin taking it?  Seems to me that I took it after I had a period for a period of 5 -10 days, I just can't remember.  Thank you.

I'd ask you to discuss this with your D.O.  There is more than one way to administer this medication.  An alternative would be to take it for ten days or 2 weeks, during the second half of the menstrual cycle each month or every three months (assuming the indication is anovulation secondary to PCOS).

Discuss further with your physician.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing