Aa
A
A
A
Close
Gynecology / Women's Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Strange period

I've had a history of irregular periods, and mostly the irregularity is brought on by stress. Unlike most women, I get my period when I'm feeling more stressed or anxious.  However, typically when my period comes irregularly my blood is not red but rather very dark brown.  I wouldn't be so worried except for the fact that I got my period over a week and a half ago (two weeks before I was due) and I've been bleeding rather heavily ever since..but it isnt red. Its very dark brown and reminds me more of a discharge than blood. Oh, and I've just moved to a new country and been dealing with some stress to say the least.
  Just two months ago I was at the gynocologist for a pap smear, blood test and ultrasound to make sure all was well (after having some strange pain and these irregular periods).  She said everything was fine.  So why the dark blood and this period that won't go away?!
1 Responses
603463 tn?1220630455
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!  I think you are on track with your suspicion about stress being at the root of your problem.  If my patient called with your question, I would suspect that she occassionally has "anovulatory cycles"  in other words, times when the hormones are out of whack so that no ovulation occurs.  When this happens, the uterus sloughs of the lining irregularly in bits and pieces instead of all at once.  This can cause heavy bleeding, prolonged bleeding, clots, bright red, dark brown bleeding, etc.  To get down to the nitty gritty--the problem is a lack of progesterone, and I would ask my patient to take some progesterone.  Medroxyprogesterone Acetate should be available in most countries!

I would also wonder whether my patient would like to go on oral contraceptives for cycle control--just for convenience.

Good luck!

Dr B
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.