Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Strange period

I've had a history of irregular periods, and mostly the irregularity is brought on by stress. Unlike most women, I get my period when I'm feeling more stressed or anxious.  However, typically when my period comes irregularly my blood is not red but rather very dark brown.  I wouldn't be so worried except for the fact that I got my period over a week and a half ago (two weeks before I was due) and I've been bleeding rather heavily ever since..but it isnt red. Its very dark brown and reminds me more of a discharge than blood. Oh, and I've just moved to a new country and been dealing with some stress to say the least.
  Just two months ago I was at the gynocologist for a pap smear, blood test and ultrasound to make sure all was well (after having some strange pain and these irregular periods).  She said everything was fine.  So why the dark blood and this period that won't go away?!
Hi!  I think you are on track with your suspicion about stress being at the root of your problem.  If my patient called with your question, I would suspect that she occassionally has "anovulatory cycles"  in other words, times when the hormones are out of whack so that no ovulation occurs.  When this happens, the uterus sloughs of the lining irregularly in bits and pieces instead of all at once.  This can cause heavy bleeding, prolonged bleeding, clots, bright red, dark brown bleeding, etc.  To get down to the nitty gritty--the problem is a lack of progesterone, and I would ask my patient to take some progesterone.  Medroxyprogesterone Acetate should be available in most countries!

I would also wonder whether my patient would like to go on oral contraceptives for cycle control--just for convenience.

Good luck!

Dr B