Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Worried about Ovarian Cancer...

I am 42 yrs old, I always had regular periods, 5-7 days, every 28 days. The two times I didn't get my periods are named Lucca and Gabriela, my kids. So, this past month I got my period on nov. 10th and it never ended, it is very heavy with lots of clots. My doc collected some material for a biopsy and recommended a intra-vaginal sonnogram, as I wait for the results she put me on Prometrium 200mg, 1 per day at bedtime. I'm feeling very nervous, anxious, paranoid and thinking about ovarian cancer, with some cramping and still bleeding very much. Any thoughts, anyone?  

Our concern when a woman your age has irregular bleeding would be endometrial cancer, not ovarian cancer (which is why your physician performed the endometrial biopsy).

The proper work up for irregular bleeding in a woman over 35 would include ruling out pregnancy, checking for an endocrine abnormality (e.g., thyroid hormone changes), assessing for structural lesions within the uterus (like endometrial polyps/fibroids usually by office hysteroscopy--i.e., looking inside the uterus with a small camera--or sonohysterogram--instilling saline into the uterus while simultaneously having a ultrasound), considering anovulation (not ovulating monthly reflective of perimenopause) and performing an endometrial biopsy to look for abnormal tissue inside the uterus (e.g., endometrial hyperplasia or cancer).  With those results proper treatment can be instituted.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I feel so bad when we always get the worse definition of spotting, at your age its probably perimenopause. Read about it.