Aa
A
A
A
Close
Gynecology / Women's Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

long menstrual cycles

about 5 months ago i started my period like normal, on time, but it didnt stop untill almost 10 weeks later. i have always had heavy periods in the past but never one longer than 8 days at the most. there were blood clots and i couldnt wear a tampon more than 30 minutes without going through. since then my periods have been really light and only lasting for 1-3 days intill now. i started my period just 2 weeks after i ended my last and im still on it. ive been on it for 10 days now but it is really light. it started out really heavy for about 3 days but its been light since. no blood clot but really really bad cramps. why is my body all of a sudden changing my cycle and why would i have a period for 10 weeks straight? im in alot of pain right now and i dont know what to do. ive tried tylenol, aleve, midol, and pamprin and  the cramps wont go away. can you help me?
1 Responses
242596 tn?1192429549
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

Since you have been having a notable change in your menstrual cycle for more than three months you should present to your ob/gyn to discuss this with them and they should then pursue a workup.  Some reasons a woman's menses may increase in duration are uterine fibroids, thyroid hormone changes, or endometrial polyps.  

If you experience heavy bleeding (using a pad an hour for more than four hours) you should see a physician urgently.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.