Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

massive bleeding 7 weeks after DNC Is This Bad, & Whatt Should I Do?

ok so i had a DNC done 7 weeks ago. the baby was dead and i hadn't had a miscarriage yet so they had to go in and take it out. well its been 7 weeks like i said and on the 19 of last month i went in to the ER because i was bleeding quite a bit and they put me on 10mg of Medroxyprogesterone or a more common name, provera. They said it was used to "reset" my body's natural "clock" and start me over, because my body was "confused" and didn't know if it was still pregnant.
I took two pills of that for a week like prescribed, the day after i started it, i stopped bleeding. 3 days after i finished taking the meds i started my period (like i was informed would happen)
It will be 2 weeks the day after tomorrow since i stopped my period (the one i started 3 days after the meds were gone) and now i am excessively bleeding it started last night. Since 6:30 tonight, (and it is now 9:51), i've been through 2 tampons and a pad completely soaked in blood to the point of there was blood dripping down my legs when the tampon was still in, BOTH times. when i took the tampon out (the 1st one) a huge clot the size of a baseball plopped out right after, & then "gush" it came flowwing, and hasn't stopped flowing since. I'm not cramping at all really, and i fell fine, things dont feel off at all, but why would i bleed this much so soon my periods normally aren't abnormal and DEFINATLEY NOT bloody like this. OH and the blood that is coming out right now is BRIGHT red and thin, not thick and more clumpy rather then watery like my normal periods.
I guess my question is what would be the cause of this and should i go in to the doctor or ER??? please help?? Question
HI!
If you were my patient, I would send you straight in to the emergency room.  I would do an ultrasound to check for retained products (meaning, something left inside the uterus). My best guess is that I would end up doing another D&C for you.  If the ultrasound was negative, I would put you on Estrogen (not progesterone) and antibiotics.  Another medicine that can help sometimes is Methergine, it helps the uterus cramp shut and stp bleeding.  It causes pretty bad cramps though, so if I prescribe it, I usually use pain relievers too.

I hope by the time you read this, you have already been re-checked!  If not--GO NOW!
Good luck!
Dr B