HIV - International Forum

4th generation 5 weeks

I have posted here before. You advised me to get the 4th denerarion DUO at the 6 weeks mark. I actually had the EIA 4th generation one at exactly 5 weeks and nearly 2 days after exposure & of course 9 days after finishing PEP. Q1: How accurate is that? Q2: I have found a small palpable lymph node in the suboccipital area 2 days after finishing my PEP (lasted for 2 weeks till today) and a couple of hours with some shivering, shortness of breath & fatigue that comes and goes for 1-2 days (dont know if that is due to anxiety or what). Having a negative test 6 or 7 days after finding that lymph node means that it is not related to HIV, or would it be still too early for the P24 to show up in the 4th gen. test?
I am not due to be tested before 12 weeks, as per the regulations in my country.
I have made it as clear as i could & as brief as well.
I appreciate your patience reading this and answering as my level of anxiety is high
Hello

I am sorry but I do not recollect the original post.

You have said:-

I have posted here before. You advised me to get the 4th denerarion DUO at the 6 weeks mark. I actually had the EIA 4th generation one at exactly 5 weeks and nearly 2 days after exposure & of course 9 days after finishing PEP. Q1: How accurate is that?

I'm afraid it isn't at all accurate at that point - although since I don't recall the original post I can't comment further.

Q2: I have found a small palpable lymph node in the suboccipital area 2 days after finishing my PEP (lasted for 2 weeks till today) and a couple of hours with some shivering, shortness of breath & fatigue that comes and goes for 1-2 days (dont know if that is due to anxiety or what). Having a negative test 6 or 7 days after finding that lymph node means that it is not related to HIV, or would it be still too early for the P24 to show up in the 4th gen. test?

Some people will commence PEP after inconsequential exposures - so the tests are almost irrelevant as we know that they will not become HIV positive anyway. If you had a a significant exposure - unprotected sex with an HIV positive person who is not on treatment - then the PEP becomes more significant.

The standard guidance is that people should test 12 weeks after finishing PEP or 16 weeks after the original exposure.

I'm afraid you can't rely on anything else.

kind regards, Sean
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.