HIV - International Forum

Accuracy of DUO at 27 days

Dear Doctor,

A week ago I engaged in unprotected cunnilingus with a CSW in Shanghai.  I am concerned as the gum beside my buck tooth bleeds when I brush vigorously.  I plan to get a Duo test done, but due to my business schedule, I only have the chance to schedule one on 27th day of exposure.  As DUO is mentioned by other experts to be conclusive at 4 weeks, I'm wondering if this 1 day difference would make a significant impact on the accuracy of the test result.  I.e. if it is negative at 27th day, should that be conclusive to put my worries to rest?

Thanks so much.

Best Regards
Hello

I'm sure you are fine. Cunninlingus represents an extraordinarily low risk in terms of HIV contraction. The DUO test is exceptionally accurate at 28 days and will be perhaps a 0.1% off the day before.

The two combined - extraordinarily low risk of acquisition and exceptionally accurate test - indicates that you are HIV negative,

kind regards, Sean
Thanks for the quick advice.  In case, DUO is not available (I inquired to the hospital via phone.) when I get there and they only have a 4Gen antibody test, would a negative be also sufficiently conclusive.

Also, I believe that clinic tests for Syphilis as a mandatory standard along with HIV.  Is the window period too small for an accurate syphilis detection (i.e. I should test that separately on a later date.)
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.