Concern from sexual exposure

Hello Dr,

12 days ago I had a very brief sexual encounter with a female sex worker (i am male). She performed unprotected oral sex on me for about 10 minutes and then I came. She then started doing oral a second time when I noticed something red in her saliva, I asked her to stop giving me oral immediately. She told me that she had just bitten her inner cheek and had some blood in her mouth as a result. She did not have any blood in the first session of oral, just in the second which lasted two minutes approximately.

Of course I freaked out and immediately went to the bathroom and washed my genitals with water and then apllied hand sanitizer all over them and then washed agaian with water. I sometimes suffer from dermatitis in my penis, so my skin was a little bit irritated even defore I washed and apploed the sanitizer).

Over the past few days I have experienced a variety of "symptoms": an aparent swollen lymph node under my right armpit, and a minor rash inside my mouth. I have been very nervous and acknowldge these might just be psychological effects. I plan to test for HIV in a few more days, but in the meantime my questions are:

1-what do you think was the risk of my exposure?
2-Im also suffering from seasonal allergies, do you think that symptoms like what I described above could be from allergies? They started happening about 10 days after the exposure.
3-do i have any risk of ither STDs? Note that i did not kiss her.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hello,
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.  I will reply to each of your questions here below:

FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF HIV INFECTION, THIS WOULD BE EXTREMELY LOW, IF NOT ZERO.  RECEIVING ORAL SEX, EVEN IF SHE HAD SOME BLOOD INSIDE OF HER MOUTH, WOULD NOT INVOLVE ANY RISK OF HIV.  SALIVA NEUTRALISES THE VIRUS.  IN SUMMARY, I WOULD ESTIMATE THAT THERE WAS NO REAL RISK OF HIV INFECTION TO YOU.

YES, THEY CERTAINLY COULD.  ONE CANNOT RELY ON SYMPTOMS AS THEY ARE NOT SPECIFIC.  IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ASSESS THE RISK AND IN YOUR CASE THIS WAS ZERO.

3-do i have any risk of ither STDs?
YES, CHLAMYDIA, GONORRHOEA, NSU, SYPHILIS AND HERPES.

Kind regards,
Dr José
Helpful - 0
next time wear latex condom..to be safe..fro any sexually transmitted diseases..
Helpful - 0
Dr. Thanks a lot for the information.

Symptoms are fading, very likely they were just allergies. No symptoms so far at all in the genital area, so seems I'm clear.

Best regards,
a lucky guy
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - International Forum

Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.