HIV - International Forum

Exposure Bathroom Semen

Dear Dr:

Thanks for doing this. I have been lurking sometime and reading your responses and you are by far the best at Medhelp. I am embarassed to ask this question but here goes...  I was in a popular burger restaurant yesterday and after one of the employees came out, I went into the restroom. I noticed what appeared to be semen on the ground and paper towels in the toilet. I spit on the ground about 2 feet from the semen puddle to compare my spit to the semen and there definitely was a difference. Two questions, if theoretically the spit had come back in my mouth after touching the ground (I think I would have noticed that though) and there was HIV positive semen on the ground, would I be at risk for HIV? Also, if the employee had semen on his hands while touching my fries, would I be at risk if he had HIV? (he had gloves on but I am not sure why I still ate there after seeing semen in the bathroom). I am having tender lymph nodes, headache,red and sore throat, and body aches but I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I have had these symptoms before but not as bad. I know this question is OCD but I can't afford any extra infections since I have viral symptoms already. I also don't think anyone would give me PEP for the situation I described, right?
Hello

You were never at risk ...... obviously.

Thanks for doing this. I have been lurking sometime and reading your responses and you are by far the best at Medhelp. I am embarassed to ask this question but here goes...  I was in a popular burger restaurant yesterday and after one of the employees came out, I went into the restroom. I noticed what appeared to be semen on the ground and paper towels in the toilet. I spit on the ground about 2 feet from the semen puddle to compare my spit to the semen and there definitely was a difference. Two questions, if theoretically the spit had come back in my mouth after touching the ground (I think I would have noticed that though) and there was HIV positive semen on the ground, would I be at risk for HIV?

No - bizarre question but no

Also, if the employee had semen on his hands while touching my fries, would I be at risk if he had HIV?

No again bizarre question but no

(he had gloves on but I am not sure why I still ate there after seeing semen in the bathroom). I am having tender lymph nodes, headache,red and sore throat, and body aches but I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I have had these symptoms before but not as bad. I know this question is OCD but I can't afford any extra infections since I have viral symptoms already. I also don't think anyone would give me PEP for the situation I described, right?

I do hope not!

kind regards, Sean
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.