HIV - International Forum

Genital-hand-genital & protected oral/vaginal sex

I have already asked this question but due to more information posting it in international for early response.

In Thailand 9 days ago I fingered an escort. Thereafter she gave me oral and then we had protected sex. Midway I pulled out to realize that there was blood on the condom. However, I masturbated myself with the same finger that I had fingered her with (with her vaginal fluid and blood).

Yesterday (8 days hence) - I got fever around 100.4 Far.
1. I believe that is the range for ARS? I want to know my risk in light of the fever.
2. People say genital-hand-genital is safe - However, how is it different from blood transfusion (that is risky) given that in both blood was transferred (in my case -  from vagina to my penis by my hand)
3. Subtype E in Thailand - Apparently it spreads very easily through vagina or oral? Is this true it is more riskier?

Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum,

You have asked:-

I would say that 1) you are far too early at 8 days to be experiencing ARS - that early is outside my / our experience and we see very many new HIV positive patients here at Freedomhealth and 2) 100 degree F or 38 degrees C is high but not terribly so - people with ARS characteristically develop a very high - 39 plus degree temperature. I'm not convinced.

Blood transfuison involves transfer of a very large amount of fluid and is completely different to the smearing of a small quantity of blood. HIV is a fragile virus and does not tolerate drying, colling etc very easily at all. Again, I understand your argument but I don't buy it.

No - you're inventing risk where it doesn't belong. Unprotected vaginal sex - and I note that you are not circumcised - will expose you to risk if your partner was /is HIV positive. However, you had protected penetrative sex and unprotected oral. Being sucked will not expose you to HIV.

I do not believe you were at risk of that you are seroconverting. You can have an RNA PCR test at 10 days or a 4th generation HIV test at 28 days. Testing using the other tests you have mentioned will be unhelpful.

best regards, Sean

I must also add that I am NOT circumsized. I have read in your posts that circumcision reduces risk.
I got a test done (9 days post) - it was H1 & 2. The results were negative. I understand it was too early for this test- but was wondering if my results today hold any meaning?
Thanks for the response Doctor.

I visited the lab, where the virologist said that there have been no studies on Genital-hand-genital and unprotected only. My physician recommended a PCR for HIV test, but that will take some time to have results out. He diagnosed I have fever due to swollen tonsils and believes it could be another viral infection or possibly HIV

I am really confused, and not sure how risky my exposure overall was (protected sex + unprotected genital-hand-genital). Do you think I should get tested (especially given that I have fever  and swollen tonsils)?
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.