HIV - International Forum

HIV positive/Negative

Dear Doctor ,

I had my last exposure about 33 weeks back , it was active anal intercourse unprotected with a girl of unknown status not a sex worker.I have the following tests so far -
1)HIV test for P24 antigen and Antibodies to HIV 1/2 - (CMIA) Chemiluminiscent Microparticle Immunoassay twice,
Once at 6 months post exposure and then again at 6 months 2 weeks post exposure.Both non reactive.
Then again i tested twice using a different method at a different lab called immunochromatography twice both non reactive.Is this totally conclusive ?
2)Does the P24 antigen remain in the blood stream untill antibodies are produced ? Hence if i was still in ym window period(rarest of cases) if antibodies were not detected would the p24 antigen been detected atleast ?Please Explain this
3)I also had a pro viral DNA test using the PCR method , at 8 months post exposure it tested negative , but said the lower limit was 100 copies is it possible that i have a viral load of less than 100 at 8 months post exposure without any anti HIV medication ?
4)I have also heard the HIV virus can remain dormant in the body and antibody tests or DNA tests may not detect it is it possible ?
5)I tested negative for VDRL and Hepatitis C , should i test for any other STD ,as i feel weak and i have fatigue ?
6)Do HIV symptoms that of ARS show up at 7 months post exposure or before ? And is the HIV rash itchy or not ?
7)I also had a Immunoglobulin test for Immunoglobulin G and E both were normal 848 and 91.2 respectively does this mean that there is no infection in the body ?
8)Is a combination of antibody tests and PCR tests enough to rule out HIV totally and have you ever had a case where somebody tested negative in both the tests at 7-8 months post exposure but tested positive later ?

Regards Timothy English
Dear Tim,

I'm going to go paste your question beneath then go through it all bit by bit.

The one thing I should say at the outset is that you are most certainly, definitely HIV negative from the episode you are concerned about.

Yes, completely and totally.

You're getting confused - look at my post on the Freedomhealth forum regarding this - you can see it by copying and pasting this into your browser:-

http://www.freedomhealth.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3593

No - not in these circumstances

Only in the immediate few days post infection - otherwise this is complete nonsense

Only for the standard ones such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia etc

HIV acute symptoms will show up sooner - but you do not have HIV

Irrelevant and of no use to anyone

a) yes, you are HIV negative b ) no - never ever.

forget it, you've tortured yourself to death over this - stop it, forget it and move on.

best wishes, Sean
About the question on viral load , after hiv infection is the viral load higher than 100 always if no medication is used ?
?
I had protected sex with a women. Condom broke. Had immunocheck HIV anti 1/2 home test 4 weeks after. Came back negative. Am I good doc or should I retest. Kinda losing my mind over it
Hi Tim

No, you will have a massive HIV viral load in the early stages of HIV and it will remain above 100 copies /ml.

Mr Nicnak, you need to pay for and ask your own question and not hijack poor old Tim's thread.

best wishes, Sean
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.