HIV - International Forum

Hiv Exposure

Dear Sir/Madam

Approximately 3 weeks i had a possible exposure to hiv (assuming lady was hiv positive) with a sex worker in Abu Dhabi. Sexual intercourse had just commence a couple of minutes when i noticed the condom had broken/split, conservatively i estimate my exposure to be between 2 and 4 minutes long. My questions are as follows:

1) Is it possible to catch hiv from one exposure (male to female transmission)
2) I have heard that one of the most common symptoms of hiv is a rash that can develop shortly ( 2 weeks) after exposure. Several websites have shown pictures of these rashes. I have some red itchy marks on my body the last week, they are not really itchy. I count 3-5 red spots around the bottom of my neck, 2 on my chest and several between both legs, is this what is typical for an all over body rash that may be hiv rash? Sometimes i feel itchy but there does not seem to be any sign of a rash other red marks where i scratch, this is mostly on my left forearm.

The lady in question assured me she was fine however i am very worried and nervous that i may have contracted HIV. The websites on the internet to me seem very complicated when coming to describe symptoms. Apart from what I described above i feel 100% otherwise( apart from worry!!) I also have no other signs of any other stds.

I will get tested in my home country after xmas (about 6 weeks time) however i would appreciate your comments on the above as i find the articles on the internet very confusing.

Thanks in advance,

CF
Thank you for  your post and welcome to our forum.  Let me answer your questions here below:
1.) I assume that you mean female to male transmission, like in your case.  It is certainly possible both ways.  However the risk is relatively low for the man; if she was positive, the risk for you is estimated around 0.1% or 1 in 1,000, form one single unprotected encounter.  Not knowing her status, the risk would be considerably much lower.
2.) A maculo-papular rash can be a symptoms of HIV sero-conversion, but very rarely in isolation.  It usually comes together with a high fever, malaise and severe sore throat.  Therefore I do not believe that these symptoms in your case are related to HIV.  It is usually generalised and non-itchy.
There is no doubt that you need to get tested at the appropriate window period and you ought to also have a full STD screening.
Best wishes,
Dr José
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.