HIV - International Forum

Hiv brief vaginal exposure

I had a 20 - 30 seconds unprotected vaginal intercourse with a massage lady. She offered the condom, but stupidly i asked her for some seconds without it. I pulled out and ejaculated outside. No oral or anal sex, but there was some fingering included. I started PEP around 30 hours after that with tenofovir & lamivudine once daily each. The reason my doctor put me on pep was that she is from a high prevalence country (Thailand). I asked her if she is ckean & she said yes & also said she never done it before without a condom. She asked me if i am clean as well. She looks ok & also i haven't noticed any sign of lying in all what we discussed during the massage. However, because i didn't sleep well adter that incidence, i decided to take the safest option & my baseline result was negative. My question is regarding the odds of contracting HIV in a situation like that. It was a gentle sex with some lubricant (from the massage), and i haven't noticed any blood on my pinus, also she wasn't wet during the intercourse, no signs of STDs on her nor any IDU if that can help. I can't sleep well, can't concentrate in my job even when i know that the chances are low. Any help?!!
Hello and my apologies for the delay, I'm on leave in a part of the world with terrible internet so this will be my third attempt to answer this question. I am sorry.

The chances of HIV acquisition from an HIV positive female is of the order of 1 in 1000 per episode. That assumes of course that she is HIV positive in the first place. In this situation you have drawn the conclusion that she is HIV positive because she is a sex worker and luckily those two things don't necessarily go together and she in fact is likely to be HIV negative.

Your episode was very brief indeed with minimal exposure so combined with the fact that she was likely not HIV positive and even if she had been your chances per episdoe were limited I would say that you are very likely to have dodged this particular bullet. I don't believe you will be HIV positive from this.

That said, for your peace of mind and for certainty I would suggest that you do have an HIV test at 28 days after the event using an HIV DUO 4th generation HIV test.

kind regards, Sean
Thank you for the reply and the encouragement .. I have started on Pep (tenofovir & lamivudine) 300 mg each - once daily .. That was 30 hours after exposure .. I hope that would add something
Since day 2 and i have a sore throat ... And it was improved nearly at day 24th of the exposure .. But it started with blocked nose and no fever at all .. Now (and i think since day 2 as well ) i can feel that my tonsils are painful .. I m at day 27 and still 1 day to finish PEP
Could those symptoms be related to ARS .. ( and been diluted by the medication)
I have a lot lot of anxiety about that issue ...
I hope i can get a sooner & helpful reply this time ..
To describe it a bit more, the tonsils are sore when i press and i can feel the tenderness as well under my finger but they are not swollen (not obvious when i look at the mirror) no fever as i said before and no other symptoms apart from the sore throat that comes and goes ... I will get tested and the appointment is after 11 days
A related discussion, Oral sex 15 -20 seconds into sex worker mouth was started.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.