HIV - International Forum

Risk

Dear Dr,

I am a white heterosexual female. This week I had sex with a white heterosexual male (from Scotland, who is not bi- or homosexual). We were having protected sex, but the condom broke. He did not ejaculate inside me, but I understand the risk of precum. He has said he has not done IV drugs. I am tested each year for the full STD panel, the most recent being December 2013 with an across the board negative result for all conditions. My concern partly stems from the fact that he has not re-contacted me since the encounter, although I have made attempts to contact him.

I have intense generalized anxiety disorder that is medicated with a wellbutrin-generic drug. I do not know whether to believe that I am HIV infected or whether my anxiety is related to my GAD. Can you please advise me as to my risk? I understand that I need to contact my counselor, but as I am traveling trans-atlantically it is unlikely that I will be able to meet with my counselor soon.

Kind Regards
Hello

The calculated risk of HIV transmission by receptive vaginal intercourse with a heterosexual male born in the UK of unknown HIV status is 1 in 200,000 = 0.000005%.

Kind regards, Sean
Dear Dr Cummings-- Thank you for your prompt response and helpful information.

Kind Regards
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.