HIV - International Forum

hiv test and reliability

Hi Dr Sean. i posted in hiv prevention and i would like to listen to your advise also. i had a single episode sexual encounter with a sex worker (unprotected vagina). 4.5 weeks or 32 days later i was tested with elisa method which i think it was second generation. I was negative for hiv but sadly i was diagnosed with herpes 2. I had since suffer from serious anxiety. At 7 and 8 weeks later i tested negative again but this time with a self test kit ez trust. i was by the doctor in hiv prevention forum that a negative result on 8 weeks is a strong evidence i did not contract hiv. but i am not convinced with the of test i am using. Although its a usaid approved but the test is not approve by fda. i am so worried. i really hope you enlight me in this situation.
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.  I am afraid that it is going to be me answering your question, and not my colleague, Dr Sean.
It is certainly quite unfortunate that you had contracted herpes type 2 in this unprotected sexual encounter.  The negative test that you had at 8 weeks is certainly highly reassuring and a very good indication as it is possible to detect the HIV antibodies already at that stage.  However current UK guidelines still recommend to have a final test at 12 weeks for it to be considered final and fully conclusive.  Having said all that, and speaking out of my own clinical experience, I have never come across anyone testing negative at 8 weeks and then positive at 12 weeks.  Therefore I am very confident that you are HIV negative.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Guessc doctor Sean is a very busy man. but i shall patiently wait for your reply.
Hi Sir. I just done a research on this test kit. it is actually the similar product of those available in uk LABPRO at www.hivkits.co.uk and which approved by usaid and uk authorities.
Hi doc. I am very happy to have you reply on my thread. however should i trust kits like labpro or ez trust which are usaid approved?
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.