HIV - Prevention Forum

3 tests, 14 week symptoms

Hi doc. I've now had 3 tests

1. Rapid oral swab at 4 weeks - negative
2. EIA HIV 1/2 blood test at 8 weeks - negative
3. Rapid oral swab at 11 weeks 6 days (83 days) - negative

At 14 weeks I came down with a sore throat and cough. The cough has persisted now for over a week. My new girlfriend is now sick with a sore throat and horse voice.

I waited until after my last rapid test at 83 days to sleep with her and now I'm afraid there is a slight possibility that I infected her. Please evaluate this situation. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. your sore throat is a coincidence and is not due to HIV. Your blood tests, both the 8 week HIV 1/2 EIA and the oral swab test taken at 83 days are completely definitive and indicate that you do not have HIV from your past exposure.  Don't worry. there is no need for further tested related to your past exposure. EWH
Thanks Doc! I forgot to add that I woke up this morning with a sharp pain in my left abdomen below the belly button and above the pubic region. I also forgot to mention that my exposure was making out with lots of tongue.

A few weeks after the exposure I had a couple white swollen dots on the tip of my tongue that came and went. Sometimes I get them on the side of my tongue (the last being a few days ago but they are gone now).  

Does this change your advice at all about my tests or if I need further testing?
Doc I also need to mention that my girlfriends sore throat began 2-3 weeks after web slept together for the first time. Could this be ARS? That is the only symptom she has. Thx.
No, no change in my assessment or advice.  The symptoms you describe are non-specific and knowing that you do not have HIV, you would be better served by workng iwth your doctor to find out what is causing them than to be worrying about something that we know you do not have.  EWH
Thanks Doc. I just get worried about the difference between 12 weeks (84 days) and 3 months (90 days) and what is conclusive since I had my last test a day shy of 12 weeks. The docs in Alaska have told me 6 months and one STD specialist here said u and doctor HHH are probably right on the 6-8 weeks conclusive but agencies legally don't want to say it.

Is it true you can't get HIV from making out with lots of tongue and saliva exchange? I was told that even if the person I made out with had HIV that there would be "no chance" of transmission. I wouldn't worry about HIV from this exposure if she hadn't have been with someone who was into heroin a month before we deep kissed. She also had a HIV test (oral swan) two weeks before our kissing which was negative.
*sorry doc, forgot to tag your name:

Last detail doc. Sorry for the updates but I just want to put it all outthere before your response. Another one of those white dots (maybe a swollen tastebud) showed up on the tip of my tongue today.
The traditional and most widely used tests for HIV are tests for antibodies to HIV which are available both as so-called "rapid" or point of care tests which can be done in the clinic and laboratory based antibody tests. For all practical purposes both of these types of test perform comparably and provide accurate information on the presence or absence of HIV infection in virtually everyone at 8 weeks following exposure.  The recommendations for testing at 3 and even 6 months are the result of two factors- data from older tests no longer used (you really do not need to worry about which generation of tests you were tested with, at this time virtually all tests are far more sensitive that they were even 2-3 years ago when the 3 month recommendation was made) and secondly, the fact that some, mostly governmental agencies which have to provide recommendations for virtually everyone without the sort of interactions such as those you get with your doctor or on personalized sites such as this one, feel the cannot "afford" to be wrong and therefore make recommendations and guidelines which leave most people unnecessarily nervous for 4-6 weeks longer than the 6-8 weeks it takes virtually everyone to develop HIV antibodies.  

HIV is not transmitted by kissing, no matter how much saliva is exchanged and whether or not your or your partner had sores in your mouth, gum disease or blood in the mouth.  

No change in my assessment or answer. EWH
Thanks for the detailed response dic. So you believe my 3 tests (blood/rapid) out to 83 days is definitive evidence and I can have unprotected sex with my girlfriend?  This will be all.
*Thanks for the detailed response Doc.  So you believe my 3 tests (Blood/Swab) out to 83 days is definitive evidence against an HIV infection regardless the symptoms? And can I have unprotected sex with my girlfriend?  This will be all.
Yes I do, You are fine.  EWH
K thank you Doc. We've been using condoms for vaginal sex but not for cunnlingness or oral sex performed on me. She has been bugging me to get rid of the condoms but I just wanted to make sure you thought it was ok to go unprotected at this point.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.