HIV - Prevention Forum

Chances of contracting HIV by receiving unprotected oral sex

Hi Dr.

Four weeks exactly,  I met up with a sex worker and she sucked my penis for about five-ten minutes (No other exposures vaginal, anal, etc just oral). So far I haven't had any sympotms that I consider ARS but I have had dirrahea on and off, a rash on my back, headache, and sore throat (I think its stress, anxiety or guilty).  I went to the doctor to get tests done at 7 days following my exposure and everything came back negative including hiv but I know its too early for that too show up. Now I am worried that I through my life away over this single exposure and had to be put on Ambien to help my fall asleep at night. To tell you a little about myself I'm 22, am in pretty great health, I have a condition known as PPP (Pearly Penile Papules), has never had intercourse only oral, and I'm not a drug user. I know I need help but am having mixed answers from other people and would really like the opinion of a doctor.

I got a lot of history about her (but don't if its the truth as it came from her mouth and people that barely knew her): she was in her 30-40's from New Jersey but recently moved to New Mexico, was using the drug oxycodon( am not sure of others), had children,  worked as a nurse for Dr. Doyle (which I searched and there is a doctor by that name in that state), she insured me that she was clean and won't be doing this if she had any STD's but I think she could have been lying because she needed the money. I was suppose to meet her the next day for protected vaginal sex but realized this was wrong so instead went to meet her where I expected her and noticed no sores on mouth, etc and seemed to be in realitve good health. I asked her if she was willing to get tested for $40 and she was willing to go but I had problems when I went to pick her up so we never got to get that done. She moved and I lost contact with her. But in all I felt she was honest since she sweared on what I consider to be holy (the bible) and her family's grave.

Welcome to the Forum.  I can see that you are a bit nervous over this exposure, as indicated by your 35 other posts on other community sites and forums.  In addition, it appears from your note that you also have been searching for information on other internet sites as well.  I will provide you with my opinion.  Before I do however, let me comment that searching the internet is exactly what I would urge you not to do.  While the internet is an excellent source of information, it is also a common source of mis-information and, unfortunately, you can find both good and bad information all too easily on the internet, leading to confusion.  I will provide my opinion based on nearly 30 years of taking care of patients since the beginning of the HIV epidemic, my reading of the medical literature, my attendance at medical conferences on the subject and my own research.  There is no appreciable risk of getting HIV from oral sex, if you partner had HIV and you do not know that this is the case.  The quoted figure cited often, including here is that the risk of HIV, IF your partner has HIV is one in 10,000 but that risk is a conservative estimate and I can tell you that neither Dr. Handsfield nor I have ever seen a convincing case of HIV transmitted through oral sex- not ever.  I think the 1 in 10,000 risk is too high and has been made by people who want to be "sure" they are right.  This risk is higher than your risk of getting hit by lightening and I said, I have doubts about its accuracy.

I hope my comments help you.  You really have nothing to worry.  You can get tested if you need if for your peace of mind.  At this time the test would detect well over 90% of infections acquired 4 weeks earlier.  I am confident it would be negative, as would any future tests taken in relationship to the exposure you describe.

I hope my comment provides you with some peace of mind.  EWH
I know the chances of getting a STD are very low from oral sex  so with all my STD test coming back negative it helped me ease my mind knowing that the chances of getting gonnorrhea, clamydia, etc are a lot higher than getting hiv but I want some insurance I am ok because I haven't been able to sleep since this occured.

What are your thoughts with everything I have told you? Do you think I'm ok? Do I need testing? Etc.?

Sorry If any doctor takes this as an offense but I'm having mixed feelings with other posts as every doctor on this forum has someting around the words of you can't get hiv from being sucked or from oral sex. Than I look at another forum and it says the complete opposite. I know some think there is a theoretical risk, but am wondering is there a risk or not in my case?

Thank you in advanced for your help.
Thank you Dr. Hook for your quick response and comments they helped me a little with the anxiety. Just several more questions: 1) If you were in my shoes would you get tested or be worried? 2) Would you trust the sex worker with everything I researched and she stated? She stated this was the first time she ever did this and had been married. 3) Would the oral hiv test (not the rapid one but the one where you rubb on your gums) be ok since I have searched and my area doesn't have the duo? 4) Is the risk of getting other std's higher than the risk of getting hiv? since I got tested at 7 days and everything came back negative that means she was probably not infected which means the chances of her having hiv is probably zero and last 5) does my condition PPP increase my chances?
1.  I would not get tested if I were you.
2.  Most people tell the truth but somethimes they are mistaken.  The reason I would not test is because your exposure was no risk.  
3.  Yes the oral test is highly reliable and just as reliable as the blood tests.
4.  Yes, the risk of STD is higher than HIV but you do not have an STD- bleive you tests.
5.  No PPP does not increase your risk.

You need to relax.  EWH
5.  
Thank you that really helped me a lot calm down. One last thing and i'll end this thread until (if) I get tested do you have any suggestions to help me relax? I try not thinking of it but when I watch tv, or am having a conversation a word brings it up in my mind. I don't know what else to try.
Different folks have different relaxation techniques.  Exercise helps me but this is something you'll need to sort our in your own way.  EWH.  
I got one last thing I forgot to tell you that would bring me comfort if it doesn't change your assessment & opinion on oral sex not have having a risk for hiv: after the incident (next day I noticed it maybe early when I was sleeping) one part of the shaft of my penis was red (it looked irritated) by the head, does this chance your assessment that I was not at risk? I think most likely it was from being grinding on by her teeth for 5-10 minutes. Also does the pimples on my back suggest anything? Sorry last thing until I get tested and give you the results.
Nothing you are going to say is going to change what Dr.Hook has already told you.
Ya I know, you both told me the same thing "I was at no risk". I can't get the thought out of my head. Do you got any suggestions?
No change in my assessment. EWH
I'm sorry to ask this but I'm curious whats your estimate of hiv being trasmitted through oral sex? I'm just curioussince you said "1 in 10,000 risk is too high" and not that worried as your comment as helped ease my mind. Also on thursday I'm having a orasure test done and the results should take a week, is this an accaptable test at 30 days? Last comment till the results I promise
Please remember that your chance of being hit by lightning is higher than 1 in 10,000 (it's about 1 in 8,000).  Thus whether the risk of 1 in 50,000 or 1 in 100,000 really is not meaningful and shoul not matter to you or to me.

At 30 days an Orasure will detect about 90% of acquired infections.

This will end this thread.  There will be no further answers.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.