HIV - Prevention Forum

Extremely frightened

Hi Dr,

Thankyou so much for what you do as I have read these posts trying to find answers and help shrink my extreme fright.   I am extremely frightened and my anxiety is high. I am an 32 heterosexual male. Over the last seven months I have had about 6-7 unprotected oral sex episodes. 3 were with strippers/massage parlor workers. A few have led to ejac but only with a girl who is not a sex worker. Lately i have noticed a lump the size of a lima bean in my neck and swelling in my groin on the left side. I also think the left side of my neck behind my ear is swollen. I do have bad anxiety and im worried because I'm in a comitted relationship. I do not have a fever but now but had a reading of 99.8 for a day last week.Yestersay I started having diahrea. My last exposure was almost 8 weeks ago but I noticed the first lump at almost seven weeks. Is this ARS since my exposures were high risk? I've called several HIV hotlines and get differing answers. Please please help me.
Your risk is very low.  Close to zero.  Most strippers and massage parlor workers do not have HIV.  Even if they did, the risk associated with receipt of oral sex is estimated to be less than 1 transmission per 10,000 exposures and some experts feel that even that estimate is too high and that transmission never occurs with oral sex.  Neither Dr . Handsfield nor I have ever seen a case of HIV that was convincingly transmitted through oral sex. You will not be the first.

That you can find lymph nodes at the locations you describe - your neck and groin is normal and not anything to worry about.

I sense that your anxiety is very high over this.  Because of this, even though you have no real medical indication for testing, I would suggest you go on and get an HIV test.  At this time, more than 8 weeks since your last exposure, the test would detect 98-99% of all infections that would occur since your exposure. When you consider this with your very low risk to start with, when your test comes back negative as I am sure it will, you can be sure that you do not have HIV.  Take care. EWH
Dr.Hook,
                thank you so much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I also performed oral on a female non sex worker andd in a seperate episode of protected intercourse I had a cut that was four days old but still fresh on my finger. It was not bleeding or pussing but it was still white as i lost the very top layer of skin. My worry is that some vaginal fluid may have gotten in the cut while i was removing the condom. Is that rational and what are my risks if that has happened? Im just asking because it feels like I have a rather large lymph node in my groin. Thanks again.
The cut on your finger is irrelevant. You solitary oral sex enocunter with a woman is very, very low risk.  You really have no medical indication for getting tested.

If you are concerned about the lympth node, talk with your doctor about what might be causing it.  It is not HIV. EWH
Hi Docs,
            Happy to report that I had taken an Hiv test at 8 weeks and the results came back negative. My only worry is that I now have a swollen lynphnode on my neck, my jaw between my jawbone and ear, and behind my knee cap. I also have minor chills with no fever. Based on the experiences from my earlier threads was an 8 week test not accurate enough? Do I have go back for more testing? Please help as I can not find an origin to my symptoms. I'm wondering if it's anxiety again. Thx
You do not need further testing.  Your symptoms are not due to HIV.  AS for your swollen node, there are too many possibilities to comment on.  I would suggest you work on this with your doctor.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.