HIV - Prevention Forum

Generalized lymphadenopathy worry

Dear Dr. Hook/Handsfeild,
   This has been asked to death and so I will keep it short. I had gave unprotected oral sex to a woman of unknown status six weeks ago. This in and of itself wouldn't concern me. The thing is about 19 days later I developed swollen lymph nodes under my jaw, armpits, groin, and near my elbow. I also felt very weak, had diarrhea, headache and low grade fever (99.5). The timing is making me anxious.
   1. I was tested for hiv at four and six weeks with the rapid antibody test. Accuracy?
   2. In a fit of anxiety I scheduled a dna pcr test for tomorrow. Accuracy of that test?
   3. If my test tomorrow is neg. what should I watch out for as far as these nodes are concerned? My neg at six weeks made me a little less anxious about hiv and a little more about cancer. : /

Thanks,
             T

Welcome to the Forum   I’ll be please to comment.  Even if your partner did have HIV (which is unlikely) your risk for HIV is very, very low.  The efficiency of HIV transmission through cunnilingus on an infected partner is less than 1 infection per 10,000 exposures and probably far lower.  There have been one or two cases in which persons have claimed to be infected in this way but they are unverified.  I would not be worried at all.

As for your symptoms, they are non-specific.  there are many possible causes of lymph node swelling and you have had tests which rule out HIV.  If you are concerned about the swelling you should see your doctor or an internist for evaluation.  

If your symptoms starting at 19 days were due to HIV, your blood tests at both 4 and at 6 weeks would have been positive.  That they were negative PROVES that your lymph node swelling is not due to HIV.

This test is not recommended for HIV diagnosis.  For details please search the site uising the search function- we have explained why many times.  In your case it is a waste of money.  If you have HIV, 95% of infections would have been positive at 6 weeks and, as explained above, your current tests prove your swollen lymph nodes, if even significant, are not due to HIV.

3. If my test tomorrow is neg. what should I watch out for as far as these nodes are concerned? My neg at six weeks made me a little less anxious about hiv and a little more about cancer.
See above.  If you are worried about the nodes, see your regular doctor or, if you do not have one, an internist.

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Thanks! I hope it's not to late to cancel tomorrows test! Have a good day.
I'm glad i could help. EWH
Are you aware that there are two members posting in this thread?  The original OP, and then vishalsantosh80 started posting on the thread.

Just wanted you to be aware, thanks!
Thanks nursegirl.   Deleting the interloper.  EWH
Sure thing!  It's easy to miss that when they "sneak in" like that!  
I noticed that yesterday... Didn't wanna make waves. : )
Dr Hook,
     I don't wanna be a nuisance. This will be my last comment. I didn't end up taking the pcr test. I plan on just taking the regular antibody test at three months. My question is- why do you say that my current tests prove my lymph node swelling isn't HIV related? I'm anxious because I have read some scary statements about epitrochlear lymph node swelling.
You are frightened because you hav been on the internet reading alarmist and icorrect statements.

If your lymph node swelling represented a recently acquired HIV infection, the antibody test would have been positive within a few days of the beginning of symptoms.  The symptoms reflect the beginning of antibody production in the ARS.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.