HIV - Prevention Forum

Glass Pipe Concerns

Hi doctor,
I made a big mistake in dealing with my depression recently and resorted to smoking crack. The pipe was procured clean, but was used by the person selling to me, before I used it. I noticed a blister on my lips this morning after cleaning my teeth and the skin had been removed. I remember it being very hot. What are the chances of contracting HIV? Would the pipe have to have a lot of blood on it for a transmission? Are there any documented cases of people catching HIV this way? Thank you in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forum.

HIV is transmitted by blood contact and sexually.  The amount of blood or other body secretions in this sort of exposure would be far too little to allw for transmission.  Even with visible blood, I wouldn't be worried.  Nobody in the world has ever been known to catch HIV from any sort of contamination in the environment or because or shared eating or drinking utensils -- and the same undoubtedly applies to shared oral drug use equipment.  (Shared injection equipment is another story, of course.)  On top of all that, if the pipe was hot enough to blister your lip, of course it would have instantaneously killed HIV or any other bacteria or virus.

So no cause for worry and no need for testing.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Hi doctor,

thank you very much for your help. It has greatly reassured me. A final few question if I may. What if the blister/sore was present before smoking the pipe? Does this change your advice? Also, what is the Hep C risk?

Thanks you very much again in advance. You provide a fantastic and important service.
This information doesn't change my opinion or advice.  There is no risk at all for hepatitis C.

Thanks for the thanks.  Take care.
Thanks doctor. Finally, I promise, before I wrap up the thread. What if the pipe which I believed to be new (before being used the once before me) was not. Would this change your advice?
Thanks for all your help.
My previous replies make it clear that this makes no difference. I assumed the pipe had been used by other persons.
Thanks for everything.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.