HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV EXPOSURE

First of all sorry for my english it is not my native language. I am a married man 37 years old and before one month i had sex with a girl 22 years old i met on the internet and i dont know her. she offered me paid sex as she was a student as she said, and she needed money. During the intercourse the condom broke, i heart it and i pulled out immediately, (i hope that what i felt was on the right time and that i was not inside her for more time). I told her to have test for hiv together and she said ok, but after that i couldn't reach her in the phone.....  During the fourth week after this i had flu like symptoms fever for 24 hours not more than 100 degrees. Sore throat for many days without fever and i feel a pain  in my neck for many days were i believe my lymph nodes are, but i cant fell them swollen, although i check them all the time!

Im very anxious because i am married with 2 children, i told my wife about this and she is very supportive to me and we still have sexual intercourse because she is telling me all the time, you are ok you have nothing etc. but im very afraid of all this situation

Questions

1. do you believe im infected with HIV?
2. Swollen lymphs due to hiv infection hurt?
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll try to help.  HIV is a sexually transmitted disease and if your partner had HIV, there is a chance that when your condom broke that you may have become infected HOWEVER the chance of this is VERY low.  The reasons I say this are:

1.  It is unlikely that your partner had HIV.  Few women, even those who are commercial sex workers, are infected.
2.  If she was infected, your risk for infection is low.  Only 1 out of every 1000 episodes of unprotected vaginal intercourse lead to infection.  In your case you were infected for at least part of the time, further reducing your risk for infection.

3.  Some of the persons who acquire HIV do get a fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches and other symptoms however when people experience these symptoms less than 1% have them due to HIV.

Putting all of this together, while I cannot promise you that you did not get HIV, it is unlikely.  If your symptoms began more than a week ago you can be tested at this time.  If your symptoms were due to HIV, your blood test would be positive at this time.  I suspect that your  blood test will be negative, making it unlikely that you got HIV form the sexual encounter you have described.  I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.