HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV Primary Rash / ARS Rash

Dear Doctors,

I cannot remember any particular exposure to HIV but I am worried because on the internet I saw a picture of ARS rash that looks alot like a rash I have had for quite a while.

I realise that symptoms are never a reliable indicator of HIV but nonetheless, I would REALLY appreciate it if you would kindly answer the following questions:

1) Is it possible for ARS rash to persist for say, 6 months and then go and come back? Or is it ALWAYS just a two thing that goes away?

2) Is it possible to have ARS rash in the chest area around the heart area and on the upper back and collar area? No such rash on the face.

Regards,

Directly to your questions:

1) No.  It is not possible for an ARS rash to come and go.  The rash lasts no longer than the ARS syndrome itself, i.e. 2-4 weeks, then is gonen.  Also, rash is never the only symptom of ARS.  There always are other things, especially fever and usually fatigue, swollen lymph nodes in multiple areas of the body, and often sore throat.

2) The ARS rash can occur anywhere on the body, but usually is widespread.  It certainly could occur in the areas you mention.  But so can innumerable other skin conditions.

You need to stop searching online to figure out the cause of your rash.  See a health care provider. If you are at risk for HIV (sexually, injection drug use, etc), probably you should have an HIV test -- but not because of the rash.  And if sexually active, conceivably syphilis is a possibility; that too can be determined quickly with a blood test.

Let's not have any follow-up questions with further details about the rash.  Feel free to return to tell us what your clinic or doctor found after you have been examined and tested -- but not until then.  In the meantime, you can be sure that ARS isn't the problem.

Best wishes---  HHH, MD
I meant to ask "is it always a two week thing" that goes away...
I had already been to a dermatologist in the past but he said "It is PROBABLY acne". However, over a period of time, I began noticing some very strange BRIGHT RED looking spots that are approximately 1 - 2 mm in diameter. When I popped them with a needle, lots of blood came out. It looked as if blood had been "trapped" there. Could this be Syphilis?

I am not an intravenous drug user and have never had unprotected vaginal or anal sex in my whole life.
OK, I give up.  Wny did you leave out the most important information in your original question -- that a dermatologist reassured you and that you have not possibly been exposed to HIV?  It's hard enough for a distant forum moderator to judge what someone's health problem might be -- and you tied my hands even more than usual.

What you describe is nothing whatsoever like either ARS rash or syphilis.  And given the total absence of possible exposure, it isn't possible you are infected with HIV or syphilis.  You can drop both those ideas.  Continue to work with the dermatologist for a diagnosis and suggested treatment -- or find a new one if you're not certain the first one was on top of the problem.

This forum can't help you further I won't have any further comments or advice.

Dear Doctor,

I did not mean to upset you in my previous post.

I am writing to you again today because I decided to go for an HIV test for peace of mind. I will come back to you with the results tomorrow.

However, I found out that the blood sample was left there and not sent to the Lab for several hours! As I know that HIV does not live well outside the body, does this mean that the results of this test are no longer reliable?
Oh, and Merry Xmas
Makes no difference.  Blood is often tested for HIV several days after being drawn -- or, in research studies, sometimes many years later.  The results remain reliable.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes.  But truly that ends this discussion.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.