HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV Symptoms

I engaged in high risk behaviour 9 weeks ago. At the time I was suffering from cough, cold, and sore throat. I developed penile irratation, was tested for Clamidia and Ghonerrea. Tested Negative, despite that fact the girl I was with later tested positive. I have a family and the anxiety of what I have done has been hard on me and them. I have been tested for HIV at 2 weeks, 7 weeks. Both have come in negative. Between these two tests - However during the time between the two tests I had what I would call symptoms. Sore throat, cough, sinus infection, no fever, no diarreaha other than half a day, which I believe is from the antibiotics. I have continued over 9 weeks to carry some symptoms, mild cough, stiff neck, not sure if nodes in my neck are swollen, no other nodes in my groin or arm pits appear to be swollen. I still have a green discharge from my nose. I have not had a fever at anytime. However have been suffering from sinus infection (on and off). Recently went on Suprax. I have discontinued due to sore neck and a "slight" what I believe to be rash. It looks like little tiny bumps, almost like hives (very faint), in and around my collarbone. I am concerned this could be a an HIV rash.

1. Given I tested negative at 7 weeks, is this test accurate?

2. Are some of the symptoms I am describing typical of HIV or just a long standing viral infection. Many people in my city, work, etc have been carrying a cold for an extended time.

3. Is the reaction I have described typical with Suprax?

4. I have spoken with the girl who I was involved with, and she has assured my she has tested negative for HIV.

5. Is this my anxiety getting the better of me?

6. Typically do HIV symptoms happen together or can they be spread apart over a period of weeks.

7. Can you provide me a picture of link of a typical HIV related rash?
]
8. With HIV, are swollen nodes typically easy to feel.

Should I be worried about HIV?
I'm starting this response before I read your question, based only on the title you chose for this thread:  Symptoms never are a reliable indicator for or against new HIV infection.  That's because the symptoms of new HIV infection are identical to those of innumerable other conditions, all more common than HIV. Even among people with the highest risk exposures, the classical symptoms of ARS usually are due to something else.  If you have tested negative for HIV more than 4-6 weeks after your past exposure, that result tells the truth and outweighs your symptoms, no matter what they are.

OK, now I have read the questions themselves.  Guess what?

1) Negative test at 7 weeks = no HIV infection.  
2) Some of your symptoms are consistent with HIV (and other things). Others don't occur with HIV, such as "sinus congestion", nasal discharge, and stiff neck.
3) Cefixime (Suprax) certainly can cause diarrhea, but not the other symptoms you describe. "I believe I have a rash" doesn't count for much; if you're not even certain your skin looks abnormal, probably nothing is wrong.
4) All the more reason to believe you don't have HIV.
5) Most of your symptoms are not due directly to anxiety. But certainly you are anxious, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this question to start with.
6,7) The appearance of HIV related skin rash and the timing of your symptoms don't matter.  Your negative test at 7 weeks proves HIV isn't the cause.
8) Self-diagnosis of enlarged lymph nodes by medically untrained persons rarely is reliable.  Anyway, just as with the other symptoms, among all people with enlarged lymph nodes, the large majority have causes other than HIV.

Should you be worried about HIV?  No, not with your negative test results.  Of course see a health care provider about them if you remain concerned about your symptoms.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.