HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV Symptoms

I am from Calgary, Canada. The pop. is about 1.2 mil. Two weeks ago, I had an encounter with a young african decent escort (around 20yrs old, born and raised in canada).  Two days prior to that I had trimmed my pubic area with a machine razor and slightly cut the underside of the base of the penis. It was about a .5mm cut. Anyway, I had sex with the escort for about 1/2 an hr. The condom did not cover this cut. At one point the condom came off when she pulled out and then she replaced it with another one. The whole time we had protected sex, i.e from ******* to vaginal sex.

The very next day i felt slightly feverish and over the course of the first week i developed a runny nose, sneezing, and a bit of a sore throat, i also occasionally felt hot although my body felt cold on the suurface. In the second week I developed a cough with phlem (yellowish). I took Benylin at night and the cough subsided
in about a week. During this time my lymph nodes behind both ears are slightly swollen. I have had enlarged nymph nodes in the past and they were the size of pea but this time its very slight swelling. I now have an enlarged tonsil on one side and my lymph node swelling has remained the same. My lymph nodes on my armpits and groin aren't swollen.

This is my third week and I have started taking antibiotics (clarithromycin). Also, my ear hurts slightly and have a slight internal ear itchness.

My questions to you are:

1. Due to the cut on my penis is this considered a high risk HIV encounter?
2. I understand that I need to get tested for HIV and other std's but do the symptoms described above
   seem like initial HIV Symptoms?
3. When the lymph nodes swell due to HIV do they swell significantly to a size of pea or are they
   very minor swelling?

I am really stressed out about this. Due to my anxiety i will get tested at 3,5,12 weeks. I can't focus at work and keep thinking about this all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help.  But I have to assume you did not read the prominently labeled Disclaimer message or heed the advice there to look at other threads for similar questions.  The exact ones have been addressed innumerable times.

The odds are low that your escort partner has HIV. When a woman is infected, the average risk of transmission to her male partners has been calculated at once for every 2,000 episodes of unprotected vaginal sex.  Breaks in the skin generally cease to be significant portals of HIV transmission within a matter of minutes or hours, as clotting occurs and seals the wound, preventing access of HIV to susceptible cells.  Having genital area cuts has never been documented as an HIV transmission risk.  Finally, no infection of any kind causes symptoms within 24 hours of exposure, and for HIV it takes 7-10 days minimum; and HIV doesn't cause nasal congestion, sneezing, or cough.  You caught a cold, perhaps from the escort -- but no more than that.  To the specific questions:

1) See above.

2)  I disagree there is a need for HIV/STD testing in this circumstance.  You may choose to do so for the psychological relief of having negative results, but from a medical or risk assessment perspective testing isn't warranted.

3) Self assessment of possibly enlarged lymph nodes by medically untrained persons is very unreliable.  Among many causes of enlarged lymph nodes (or other lumps under the skin), HIV is among the least common.  

Get tested if and when you feel like it.  But you definitely don't need testing later than 6-8 weeks; it never takes longer than that, despite common advice about 3 months or longer.

All these issues have been discussed in great detail innumerable times on this forum.  Please spend substantial time searching and reading before asking any follow-up questions here.  Thanks.

Regards--  HHH, MD
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.