HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV TEST

Hello Dr:

I know it is probably repeat of several questions you have had. I will keep it brief. I really like to have your opinion. You have probably read my previous thread. I had exposure with a couple of sex workers in canada(april8, 2011). I dont know their status. Assming that they were positive. I had HIV tets done at 4 week(may 6, 2011) and 8 week (june 3, 2011) after exposure. They were non-reactive. They were 3rd gen. EIA. Can I trust my tests and move on.
Please reply. Do I need to go for 12 week test?

Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.  I will provide the same response that you received on the International Forum.  Your results, relative to the exposure you describe,  are definitive.  I realize that you are getting somewhat different answers both from your local health Department and from the folks on MedHelp's HIV Community site and those answers, while quoting the "official recommendation" no longer reflect reality.  The recommendations for testing at 3 and even 6 months are the result of two factors- data from older tests no longer used (you really do not need to worry about which generation of tests you were tested with, at this time virtually all tests are far more sensitive that they were even 2-3 years ago when the 3 month recommendation was made) and secondly, the fact that some, mostly governmental agencies which have to provide recommendations for virtually everyone without the sort of interactions such as those you get with your doctor or on personalized sites such as this one, feel they cannot "afford" to be wrong and therefore make recommendations and guidelines which leave most people unnecessarily nervous for 4-6 weeks longer than the 6-8 weeks it takes virtually everyone to develop HIV antibodies.   Sadly, "official" recommendations are, by nature, conservative.  Each of us on this form read the medical literature, attend meetings, and take part in research activities which allow us to closely monitor current science of HIV diagnosis, prevention an management.  In this context neither of us has heard or read a credible scientific report on any person who acquired HIV and took more than 8 weeks to develop a reactive HIV antibody test. Similarly I have asked numerous colleagues at scientific meetings if they are aware of any instance in which it has taken more than 8 weeks for a test to turn positive and the answer for over three-4 years, at least, has been uniformly no.  Dr. Handsfield's experience is similar.

Bottom line. I am confident that you did not get HIV from the encounter you describe.  there is no medical or scientific reason for you to worry or to test at 12 weeks.  I hope this comment is helpful to you.  EWH
Dr Hook:

Thank you for your prompt reponse. I would just like to ask if you dont mind

a) If I came to you as a patient, would you feel comfortable to advise me to move on based on 8 week test result?

b) under what circumstances you would recommend testing upto 3 months or you think 8 week test virtually covers everyone and is conclusive.

Please reply, i will really appreciate.
a.  Yes, I would tell you that an 8 week result is completely reliable.  Do you think I was somehow not giving you accurate information?

b.  I see no reason for further testing related to the exposures you described.  EWH
Dr Hook:

Thanks a lot.
Dr. Hook:

One question. Not related to HIV. When I had my tests done for STD through my GP, it was for Hep A,B,C, Chlamydia, Gonorreah, and Syphlis but no test was done for Herpes.I mean he didi not ask for it.
It is almost 12 weeks now and I did not have any abvious signs or blisters. Do you think test for herpes is required.

Thank you.
No, testing for herpes is not recommended in this situation.  If you did not have an outbreak within two weeks of your exposure(s), you did not get herpes.  Again, blood tests are NOT recommended in this situation.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.