HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV Testing

Hey Doctors, I had a thread up at the STD Forum, and figured I'd bring it over to this forum, since my question concerns HIV.

Here is a link to my thread: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Risks-Broken-Condom/show/1578250#post_7167933

My most recent HIV test on Nov. 7 (81 days since my potential exposure, just three days shy of 12 weeks) was a rapid test drawn via fingerprick at Planned Parenthood in NYC. That test was NEGATIVE. I was also tested at 3 weeks (rapid test drawn via blood), 6 weeks (lab-based antibody test), and 8 weeks (lab-based antibody test at my GP). All were negative.

I've recently been informed that for as near as 100% certainty, I should have waited until 13 weeks (91 days).

I've read a few threads about 3 months vs. 12 or 13 weeks, but looking for additional clarification specific to my risk factors in prior discussion with Dr. Hook on the STD Forum.

Do you think there's any value to an additional test at this point (nearing 16 weeks), or can I be confident in my prior test results.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

Your test results to date are definitive. Combining all the information you provided about your exposure and the test results, even the negative result at 6 weeks constituted 100% proof you didn't catch HIV.  Regardless of what you have seen about 13 weeks or other intervals, with the modern HIV antibody tests it almost never takes that long and your 12 week result makes it even more certain and there definitley is no "value to an additional test at this point (nearing 16 weeks).

Here are two other threads that discuss time to definitive HIV test results, including the reasons that many agencies continue to promote 3 months (13 weeks) despite scientific evidence that it isn't necessary.  Read them all; some of the important information is in the follow-up comments.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/HIV-Testing-/show/764623

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/-A-Question-on-Testing/show/1347755

HHH, MD
Thank you for the insight.

I needed the psychological reassurance, so I went back to the same PP clinic and tested today (117 days/nearly 17 weeks post exposure), via rapid fingerprick test. That test was non-reactive/Negative! Not surprising to you, I know, but it was psychologically reassuring to me!

Thanks again.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.