HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV appendicitis lymphoid hyperplasia

Hi Doctor,

Firstly I would like to thank you, and your colleagues for the time and effort you put into this forum, truly fantastic.

I am a 21 year old male and I had one concerning exposure - protected vaginal and oral sex and unprotected mutual masterbation, frottage etc. with a Thai CSW.

Exactly 4 weeks after the exposure I was hospitalised with appendicitis which was removed via laparoscopic surgery, recovered normally.

Then about 1 year after exposure I had a small area just above my liver which had a rash very similar to shingles, however it was painless so I am unsure if it actually was or not. The rash subsided by itself after 14-21 days.

What would be your thoughts on HIV infection and the appendicitis was caused by lymphoid hyperplasia during ars?

I cannot seem to find any studies on this however I believe it could be plausible.

Thank you in advance
Welcome to our Forum. I will try to help by providing some perspective.  The scenario you describe has virtually no chance of occurring.  Had you acquired HIV, diffuse lymphadenopathy including appendiceal lymphoid hyperplasia to cause appendicitis would not have occured in an isolated fashion, nor so quickly. When you combine these facts with the facts the your exposure was essentially no risk for acquisition of HIV (HIV is not transmitted in the context of condom protected sex or frottage), there is simply no way for you to have gotten HIV from the encounter you describe.  

have you been tested at as yet for HIV?  If so, I am confident that your test was negative.  On the other hand, if you have not yet been tested, then I urge you to get tested and put your concerns to rest.  EWH
Thank you for your response doctor.

No I have not yet been tested for HIV, I am not overly stressed about the situation however given the lack of literature on the topic I was curious about the possibility. Although yes given this the lower abdominal right quadrant pain was my only presenting symptom I too thought it would be unusual for it to be causes by HIV.

What timeframe could lymphoid hyperplasia cause appendicitis out of curiosity?

Thank you very much for your response again.
This is a "chicken or egg" question.  Appendicitis is in and of itself an inflammatory process that can cause lymphatic swelling. EWH
Thank you doctor.

The advice on this forum is truly superb and provides excellent perspective and advice for worry wells such as myself while offering those with high risk exposures information on how to accurately test etc.

Thank you again for your help

Take care.   EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.