HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV from Drugs

First off i just want to say that i am not a drug user, never have been and never will be but i just want to know how someone could get HIV from drug equipment. I know that sharring needles is a risk but why do they say you can get it to from sharring works,cookers, bottle caps, rinse water. I dont know what any of that stuff is but i am curious as to what it is and how it poses a risk for HIV. The reason why i am asking this is because 1, i have ocd and yesterday i was walking down the street downtown and there was some guy coming towards me and i thought he was homeless and he and some rather large black looking belts one in each hand and on the belts were clear plastic tubes with black caps on the top and the tubes were all different colors and there was some liquid stuff in them and i am not even to sure what was in there and i was curious to know what the heck he was carrying cause it looked weird. When he got closer i moved out of his way making sure i didnt get near him and whatever he was carrying but now this morning i am second guessing myslef because of my ocd and im making myslef believe that he was carrying some drug equipment and i just got infected with HIV from him. This is Know for a fact that he didnt touch me with any needles or anything so if that didnt happen could there be a risk from that stuff that he was carrying in his hands if indeed it was drug equipment. Please answer.

First let's deal with your OCD related concerns.  You did not touch this person so you could not have gotten HIV.  Rest assured.

Now on to your question. HIV is present in blood.  Introduction of HIV into an uninfected person's blood with a needle or through a cut therefore can introduce the virus into the uninfected person to cause infection in them.  Any intermediate device such as a contaminated (with blood) cooker or other drug paraphernalia could do the same.  Blood on the surface of intact skin is minimally infectious, if at all.  It has to get into your body for blood and needle related transmission.

Hope this helps.  EWH
So your saying unless the guy poked me with a needle then there would be no risk at all regardless if i did bumb into him or if i did touch that stuff that he was carrying which i am pretty sure i didnt but like i said I have OCD and its impairing my judgement and im almost convincing myself that i did touch him or that stuff when i probably didnt. I will still get a  test in 4 weeks to just clear my mind. Would a test a 4 weeks be good enough to erase this incident out of my head with cinfidence. PLease answer

Yes, you are correct.  You are not infected (or exposed).

Since I did not recommend getting tested at all, a negative test at 4 weeks would rule out infection.  EWH
Thank You very much for your help.
This guy has made multiple posts about no risk, non-exposures in the past few months. He posted about seeing blood in a sink at a recreation center two weeks ago (same username), has posted questions about risks from sticking his hand in a dumpster, blood on his fingernail from playing basketball, and getting a haircut. His other usernames are sunsarethebest, sunsforlife, and others I can't remember.

I'm sure this is the same guy. He posted in the HIV support forum http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/362159 using the sunsforlife username, which was an identical story to what he posted in this forum using the sidneydean username.

I feel bad for him because he has OCD which is obviously causing him to be obsessed about contracting HIV, but felt obligated to report the abuse of this forum by this individual.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.