HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV infection from kiss.

Dear Doctors,

I am so worried about my HIV status, right now. Last week, I went out to the pub and met a new gay friend from New York. I do not know his HIV status. Then, of course, we got drunk and we kissed for 3 times. He said that he just had sex 3 hours ago before kissing me. The first time, he inserted his tongue into my mouth, but I did not do anything more. No tongue associated other two, just open mouth kissing. Our 3 kisses were just for short periods, let s say, less than 3 to 4 seconds in each time. We did not have any kinds of sex, just those 3 short, light, open mouth kisses. This week, I got very serious diarrhea and sort of fever, so that is why I am so worried about my HIV status. Are there any risks for HIV infections from those situation. I am going to get tested, HIV PCR test, next weeks when it is 2 weeks after exposure to the risk to ensure that I am not infected by HIV. Moreover, I am going to have Antibody test when it become 4,6,12 weeks as well. Of course, you advise is needed. Thank you very much for you answer in advance.

Best regards,
Beepollen
Welcome to the forum.

You had accurate replies on the community forum, including quotes from responses Dr. Hook and I have given on this forum.  HIV is not known to be transmitted by kissing.  Also, your symptoms do not suggest HIV; new HIV infections do not cause diarrhea s the main symptom.

I really don't recommend all the testing you mention.  For reassurance, a single duo test (for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen) at 4 weeks would prove you did not catch HIV; or a single antibody test at 6-8 weeks.  If you really can't stand waiting, you could have two duo tests -- one at 2 and another at 4 weeks.  For more information about time to reliable HIV testing, see the thread linked below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

In the meantime, do your best not to worry.  You can be sure you did not catch HIV.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you very much for your advise. I am going to follow your suggestions.
Dear Dr.Handsfield,

I have tried to find the place where I can have the Duo test in my city but I could not find one. What we have here are just Antibody test and PCR test as I have mentioned.

What is the best way that I can do for this situation?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Beepollen
Keep asking. The state or local health department may have answers; or find one of the online STD/HIV testing services.
I am going to keep asking, then.

Thank you very much...
Dear Dr.Handsfield,

According to your medical advise, I got negative result from Rapid Duo test today and I am going to have another test next 4 weeks. How many percents that I can trust this negative result in 2 weeks? Thank you very much.

All the very best,
Beepollen
A negative duo test at 2 weeks probably is aorund 90-95% reliable.  As I said originally, you really didn't need any testing at all, but if you do it again, you can still expect a negative result.  Feel free to return once more to post one more test result -- but only one.
Dear Dr.Handsfield,

Many many thanks for your supports.

All the very best,
Beepollen
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.