HIV - Prevention Forum

HIV test

How reliable is the Oraquick Advance rapid HIV test with oral mucosal transudate? I was tested 18 months after exposure and the test was negative but recently there has been research indicating that oral test is not as reliable as blood test or finger prick. Is that true? Do I need to be tested with finger stick? It states that the sensitivity is not as great as the blood test, approximately 98% with oral sample compared to 99.68% using blood but the specificity of the the two tests are comparable, 99.7% oral and 99.9% blood. What does that mean? Should I retest with finger prick or whole blood?
Welcome back to the forum.  But I am concerned that you remain overly concerned about HIV despite exposure events with little or no risk.

The professional consensus on the rapid HIV tests, both on blood and oral fluids, is clear:  they give falsely positive results from time to time, but negative result are 100% reliable when done more than 6 weeks (and for sure 3 months) or more after the last exposure.  Your test results prove you aren't infected.  If you remain worried, feel free to have a lab-based test.  It will also be negative.  However, if I were in you situation, I would feel no need.

I would also recommend you stop searching the web or other sources about these issues.  Anxious people are naturally drawn to information that inflames their fears and anxieties, and tend to miss the reassuring bits.  Do your best to accept the obvious -- that you don't have HIV -- and move on.

HHH, MD

Regards--   HHH, MD
Unfortunately this time it was a high risk exposure but your answer was relieving and no further testing will be done. Thanks
Well, I reviewed your previous posts on this and the HIV community forum.  All exposures described there (a needlestick in a health care setting, sex with  soldier about a year ago) were low risk for HIV.  In any case, regardless of the risk level, your test result shows you weren't infected.
Thanks for all of your advice. Being in my 40's and having a scare like this can do wonders with your mind, especially since I was pregnant with that encounter and had a miscarriage due to my age. Thanks for all that you do. I also want to thank my friend for introducing this forum to me!
Sincerely,
T
Thanks for the thanks about the forum.  Now I hope you will do me the honor of accepting and believing my opinions and advice, and stop worrying about HIV.  Best wishes.
I do have a final question. I brushed my teeth approximately 20 minutes before the oral test and now have read that I should not have done that because that can alter test results- produce false negative test. Have you heard of oral care products producing false negative results bc it cleans the mouth of HIV so the test does not work properly.
That's ridiculous.  You either found a weird website or you misunderstood what you read.

You came here for reassurance.  I gave it.  Stop searching the web for contrary information.

This thread is over.  I won't have any more comments or advice.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.