HIV - Prevention Forum
Hi Doctor,

I have been readinging this forum for a while now and after reading many posts I still feel my situation is slightly unique. So here it is...

I am a 22 year old male living in New York City, I just moved here a month and a half ago. I am in good health and rarely get sick, I have no got sick in 5 years.

Anyways, exactly 25 days ago I had protected sex with a prostitute. She was also 22 years old and informed me that she had been doing this for 2 years now. She seemed very clean and well kept. About 2 hours before she arrived I took a shower and shaved my pubic area because I thought it was unattractive, ha ha. I was extremely careful and 95% certain I did not cut myself shaving. If I did cut myself, it was not enough for me to notice it. I was extremely nervous when this occurred so not a whole lot happened. The only thing we did was have sex, and I was wearing a condom. We had sex for about 3 minutes before we stopped. She was on top the whole time. I'm teling you that is because her fluids could have ran down my genital area, as gross as that sounds. After we stopped, I turned over and she gave me a massage and I did not take the condom off for about 30 minutes. She then left and I took the condom off and disposed of it. Before I threw the condom away I filled it up with water to see if there were any holes and there weren't.

About 10 days after the incident I woke up with a really sore throat and my uvula was huge. Then about 16 days or so after the incident I started to get a cough. It was very strange because I did not feel bad at all, no fever, no allergies, nothing, just started to get a cough. The weirdest part of it is that I only get the cough in the afternoon around 1 or 2. In the morning and in the evening I have no cough at all. I still have the cough too (9 days later). Yet I feel good enough to go home and work out.

So these are my questions:

1. When you shave, especially sensitive skin around your genitals, doesn't it naturally tear up your skin? Maybe even the first few layers? Is that enough to get HIV from vaginal fluids?

2. If I cut myself, it would have had to been a very small cut that did not bleed long. Can HIV be transferred through a small cut that is not open and not bleeding, from vaginal fluids?

3. I can't remember the last time I got a cough, let alone a cough that only comes in the afternoon and sticks around for 9 days. Not to mention the timiing of the cough is inline with HIV. Does this sound more inline with a cough that is caused by HIV?

4. The far back part of my tongue is whiter than the front of my tongue, and I kind of got cotton mouth with white saliva today, is this a symptom of early HIV?

5. I know this is a question you get asked  a million times, what do you think my chances are of having HIV?

6. I also got tested today (25 days after the incident) I will get the results tomorrow. If it comes back negative can I assume I don't have HIV?

Thank you for your time and help.
Almost certainly you caught a cold, and considered together, your symptoms do not suggest HIV.

1, 2) Your exposure was too long before shaving to worry about it.  No chance.

3) Coincidence.

4) No, it is a symptom of any viral infection.

5) Zero, for practical purposes.  You used a condom, that's all that matters.

6) Yes, you can rely on the test.  I would have recommended against HIV testing at all.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Also, I appologize for the uninformative subject, I was going to change it and forgot.
dude....you were not at risk
Also, if the doctor says the chances are so low for getting HIV why are so many people infected every year? I'm saying this because it does not seem like the actual results are inline with the statistics provided in these discussions. One would assume HIV would not be spreading as fast as it is if the chances of getting HIV were 1 in 10,000 or something along those lines. Am I missing something?
I am confused too.  I had a cut on my penis that came in contact with vaginal secreations from a sex worker.  I was told my chances of HIV are so low that I shouldn't even worry.  It just doesn't make sense.  27 days later and I have had every sypmtom in the book.  

96.5 - 99.5 temp ranges
Sore throat
Cold sore, bumps on throat
diahria
night sweats
sore muscles
headaches

Should I get tested?  Its not looking good for me and I was told my chances are soooo low.
I feel you perfectmax. You should go get tested.

What makes my situation weird if that I ONLY have a cough. Generally a cough is caused by something right? I think it's very strange to get a mild cough that sticks around for over a week. This is not a bad cough at all, just a mild one and my body can't get rid of it. That's why I'm freaking out. Is this abnormal?
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.