HIV - Prevention Forum

HSV-2, HIV test at 8 weeks

Hello again Doctors,

I recently had unprotected sex with a 28 year old caucasian female in New York who was originally from California. We were both drunk and did not think to use a condom at the time. We had sex two times that night for about 15 minutes with unprotected oral sex as well. I recently got tested exactly 8 weeks and 2 days after the encounter for HIV, Syphillis and HSV. HIV and Syphillis were both negative but found out that I have antibodies to HSV2.
The thing is that I have never had a symptom of genital herpes in my life which is what struck me as odd about this test. This was my first time ever getting test for HSV so I cannot say if I got it from this girl or another encounter in the past or work exposure as I do work in a hospital or if even this were a false positive.
My questions are
1) Assuming that this HSV test was accurate and I did have HSV, would that increase my risk of getting HIV even though I have never had a lesion before.
2) Is this 8 week and 2 day negative HIV antibody test conclusive?
3) I read that HSV increases the risk of getting HIV but would it have any effect on time for HIV seroconversion? Can I fully trust this 8 week test?
Thanks Much
Welcome back to the forum.  However, there is a limit to the number of questions permitted; see below.

Let's start with the details of your positive HSV-2 blood test.  Many apparent positives are false (just scan the STD forum or the herpes professional forums for lots of discussion about it).  Let me know the exact test(s) done for HSV-2 and HSV-1, and the numerical values.  Your doctor's office or clinic should be able to provide this information.  For now, however, I will assume your HSV-2 test result is valid.

2) This question first, because it overrules the others.  Your negative HIV test at 8 weeks proves you weren't infected.  HIV testing overrules exposure history, symptoms, and all other factors.  (See http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700)

1,3) HSV-2 increases the risk of HIV if exposed, but only by about double.  If the chance of catching HIV was, say, 1 in a million, doubling the risk means 1 chance in 500,000.  And first, you have to be exposed -- and the chance your partner had HIV undoubtely is very low.  In any case, your HIV test shows you didn't catch it.

MedHelp rules stipulate a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions).  Please be aware so you don't risk a nonrefundable posting fee on a question that would be deleted without reply, before next September.  But I will still be happy to comment on your HSV-2 test result if you wan't to provide that information in this thead.

In the meantime, no worries about HIV from your recent exposure.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you,
The results were HSV 1&2: 17 and HSV 2: 3.7. Based on reading the morning that is considered a positive but how do I know where and what I have when I have never had a lesion before?
My PCP said not to worry about it and just come follow up with him if I ever do notice a lesion. I'm still a bit confused, would this mean I should start medicine even without symptoms, and would condom use protect my current girlfriend?
Thank you in advance.
These numbers are a bit peculiar, at least for the most frequently used tests.  However, a number of newer tests have come onto the market recently.  My guess is that you definitely have HSV-1, but I'm not certain about your HSV-2 result.  Try to find the exact test done, i.e. trade name; and if your doctor can provide it, the numerical cut-off values for positive results.
Ok thank you doctor, he said he mailed me the results and I should have them by Friday. I will let you know as soon as I recieve them. Thank you so much for your continuing help!
Hi, sorry about the delay as the results had to be remailed to me. The test was a Herpes Simplex Virus Types I/II IgG
HSV I/II IgG 17.8
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec 3.70

I have never had a oral or genital lesion in my life. I did have pityriasis rosea a few years ago. Could there be some sort of cross reactivity to HSV 6 and 7 in the HSV I/II test. Also, if I am infected then should I start treatment even if I have never had a lesion. My PCP was a bit vague but said not to worry about it and only come back if i have a lesion and we can biopsy it.
Thank you
Unfortunately, you have given the test type only, not the actual test name. Try to find the actual brand name of the test; you may need to phone the laboratory to find it.  Also, does the lab report indicate what numerical levels mean?  For example, the cut-off level between positive and negative?  Or let me know the lab where the test was done.

The problem is that the standard HSV blood tests give much lower numerical results than yours.  Even a strongly positive result is 5.0; results above that usually are reported as "more than 5.0".  Therefore, I don't know how to interpret either a result of 17 or 3.7.  And I checked with some professional colleagues who are renowned herpes experts, who also are unaware of any test that gives numbers like this.

From what you have said, I assume you are infected with HSV-1, and perhaps not HSV-2.  But I can't say more without knowing the missing test details.  Sorry.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.