HIV - Prevention Forum

Hiv Symptoms

Hi Doctor.I gave oral sex with this guy on 30th oct and as well as nipple sucking and lip kissing. Worried that i will get hiv because i got ulcer on that day. Can taste precum.

2nd week on exposure i can feel tingling numbness of my feet and hand as well as joint pain even till now.

3rd weeks. Bad cough and flu as well as high fever. Fever for 3 days. Flu till now. Bad cough for 2 weeks and mild cough for now.

No sore throat and rashes till now.not sure whether gt swollen lym node.

Got a very bad numbness and tingling feeling on my feet and hand. Gt joint pain too. Still having mild cough and block nose (since after exposure). Unexplained Fatigue.

Is this HIV?
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your quesiton.

You describe a low risk exposure, since HIV is rarely transmitted by oral sex, and it definitely never transmitted by kising or oral contact with nipples or any other body part.  You had entirely safe sex.

And your symptoms are not as typical of acute HIV as you think.  Fever goes along with HIV (and of course with innumerable other infections), but HIV doesn't cause nasal stuffiness, cough, or the sort of numbness and tingling you describe.  Almost certainly you are recovering from influenza or a bad cold, entirely unrelated to the sexual exposure you are concerned about.

If your symptoms continue, see your primary care provider for proper diagnosis and treatment. If you remain concerned about HIV, you can have an HIV test.  You're almost to the point (4 weeks) when a duo test for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen will be completely reliable; or you can wait until 6 weeks to have a stand-alone antibody test.  In the meantime, don't worry about HIV.  It's not the problem here.

I hope these comments are helpful.  Take care and stay safe in the new year--

HHH, MD
Hi Doctor can i choose mot to get tested since is a low risk exposure?
From a medical or risk standpoint, HIV testing isn't necessary.  However, most people nervous enough to come to this forum should be tested.  Most likely you'll continue to worry about it unless and until you have had a negative test.  But that's up to you.  If you're comfortable with my analysis and reassurance, there is no need for testing/
Hi Doctor. Thanks for your great help. Happy Year 2013
Sorry doctor. That will be my last question to you and you may close this thread. Currently I am having a very bad running nose and sore throat. Is it link to hiv?
Nope.  HIV generally doesn't cause nasal congestion, runny nose, etc.  You have a cold.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.