HIV - Prevention Forum

I think I have HIV/AIDS

Dear Doctor HHH,

On holiday in Bangkok I drank too much & took back an escort. I negotiated for Oral sex, so when she asked about condoms I didn’t bother. At the hotel we started with oral but I forgot she was a CSW and had 3 mins of unprotected vaginal sex and ejaculated inside her. I asked directly if she had HIV or AIDS, she swore that she was clean but I didn’t believe her. I asked her to leave and she became very upset? Rest of the night was spent vomiting vodka. Had no ARS symptoms only a mild sore throat for the duration of the 2 week holiday.

Upon returning to the U.K I had no further symptoms however my throat felt irritated for about 6 weeks. I decided I would not have unprotected sex with my wife until I took a 3 month test. However I suffer from another problem, I have sex with my wife in my sleep! It happened 3 times & when I realised what I was doing I stopped. Now its been 4 months since my exposure & over the last 2 weeks I have had that irritated throat feeling again. I've goggled symptoms it may suggest HIV.

My questions are as follows:

1. Are HIV transmission chances still 1 in 1000 considering I was very tired and drunk.

2. What are the chances the girl had HIV I've read it is about 1 in 10 in CSW's in Thailand. Do those odds apply as she was a high class Turkish escort?

3. Are my symptoms typical of ARS and early HIV infection?

4. Can HIV turn into AIDS within a matter of months as I seem to have re developed this throat irritation again or is it normal to have this throat irritation throughout an HIV infection even before it develops into full blown aids?

5. What are the chances I have infected my wife in the 3 unprotected encounters I've had with her?

6. What are the chances that my baby has HIV through 2 months of breast feeding from my wife?

7. I have had a 2 black/purple veins running down the back of my throat, is this HIV?

I'm too scared to test as I’m convinced that I've got it. I feel like I’ve killed my Wife & baby!

Welcome to our Forum.  Dr. Handsfield and I share the forum.  You got me.  FYI, the reason we share the forum is because we have worked together for nearly 30 years and while our verbiage styles vary, we have never disagreed on management strategies or advice to clients.

Your exposure  was relatively low risk.  HIV rates among Thai CSWs are relatively low compared to other Southeast Asian nations due to the great success Thailand has had in reducing its overall HIV rates.  That however, of course, does not make this a no risk exposure.  So, with this as background, lets work through your questions.

1.  Yes, the risk would remain between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 2000.  Fatigue and alcohol do not increase susceptibility.

2.  Higher class escorts tend to have lower rates. Just how low is difficult to say.

3.  Isolated sore throat is not a sign of HIV or the ARS.  Worrying about symptoms however is a waste of time since many people do not develop symptoms and since the symptoms when they do occur are so non-specific that they are mimicked by the symptoms of the far, far more common viral illnesses (influenza, other community acquired viral illnesses) that most people acquire with regularity.

4.  No, HIV takes years to progress to AIDS.  See number 3 above about your sore throat. Further, I would add that anxiety and reflux ("heartburn") can cause residual sore throat.  

5.  Miniscule. In part because your risk of infection is so low.  

6.  Virtually zero.

7.  No.

Your fear of the result is no reason not to test.  Testing does not give a person HIV but it does give them the power to know what is going on and whether or not they have the infection.  Most tests are negative as I am confident yours will be and if you were so unfortunate as to have HIV, the test would allow you to seek treatment sooner.  There is no reason to delay or avoid HIV testing.

I hope you find these comments helpful.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.