HIV - Prevention Forum

Is there any risk? Do I need to keep testing?

I am a gay man in a relationship.  We're both monogamous, and only mutually masturbate and sometimes do oral sex on one another.  We've both tested negative for HIV and all STDs.  About 6 weeks ago, I did two stupid things.  First, I was in a steamroom in the gym and a man sat next to me, began fondling himself, and then reached over and fondled mostly my testicles, but also my penis (I am uncircumsized, and was slightly aroused when he did this).  It lasted 10 seconds.  I am concerned about this because he may have had some of his presemen on his hand when he touched me.  Then, later in the day, I went to a 'legitimate' spa for a masssage, and the therapist (who was fully clothed) began rubbing his penis against my hand.  He then took off his shorts, told me he could lose his license over this, and I stroked his shaft a little.  I stopped, but he sat on me (the sheets were covering anything below my waist) and he jerked himself and spurted a little semen on my belly -- which he immediately wiped off.  I showered immediately after this, but really felt screwed-up over the whole incident.  

Immediately after all of this, I began really worrying about it all.  I haven't had any sexual contact with my partner since, and haven't even masturbated either.  Then I began having symptoms: tight muscles in my forearms and hands (which could have been due to hours searching on the web about exposure, but could be ARS), once daily diareah, night sweats on my neck that soaked my sheets, and a dull pain above my testicles.  I got tested for HIV antibodies at 26 days, and it was negative.  And, I took one of the Home Access tests (which some say are Generation 1 and not very accurate) at 30 days and it was negative.

1) Are either of these any risk for HIV (especially the first one since I am uncircumsized)?
2) Would my test results be accurate?
3) Do you recommend further testing?
4) What about my symptoms?
5) Can I resume unprotected oral sex with my partner?

Welcome to the forum.

The events you describe are entirely safe, with no risk of HIV transmission.  In addition, even an early generation HIV antibody test is highly reassuring at 26 days, by which time 85-90% of newly infected people would have positive results.  Further, the negative test shows your symptoms are not due to HIV; the antibody tests almost always are positive soon after symptoms start.  Circumcision increases the risk of HIV if exposed, but only during insertive sex.

Those comments cover questions 1, 2, and 4.

3) If I were in your circumtance, I wouldn't have another test.  However, I would not have had the first test.  Since you're nervous, you probably should be tested again; most people with such anxieties are more reassured by reliably negative test results than by advice like mine.  You could either wait until 8 weeks or more and have another Home Access test; or visit a clinic or doctor who can do a newer antibody test or the duo test (antibody + p24 antigen), which is 100% reliable at 4 weeks or more after exposure.

5) Unprotected oral sex is safe sex, so even if you had caught HIV, you could continue.  But based on the exposures described, you could safely have unprotected anal sex with him.

Regards--   HHH, MD

I trust your judgement and advice, and will not test in the future.  I think your response #5 clinched it for me,  If you are that confident in me being HIV- then I will be too (even though I would never do anal sex without a condom on -- actually it's not my thing anyways -- a lot of people think that every gay man wants anal sex, but when I talk with my friends, a lot of them aren't into that either -- maybe one of the reasons why we're all still HIV- -- not saying that in a judgemental way at all, just that I do think a lot of the public feel that every gay man has anal sex, and some of us just don't).  Thanks Doctor.  You're a Godsend to me today.
You and your friends are exactly right about anal sex.  If one could wave a magic wand and decree that anal sex between men would never occur, HIV/AIDS would disappear among gay men.  Transmission by other routes -- oral sex, mutual masturbation, etc -- is too rare to sustain an epidemic.
You inadvertently freaked me out with your response... and I'm sure you didn't mean to.  You mentioned in this reposne that transmission by mutual masturbation is too rare to sustain an epidemic, but in your earlier analysis you said it doesn't happen.  I know this is splitting hairs (and at age 51 I have few hairs to split remaining), but is there any risk at all from mutual masturbation or did you just put that in there to make a point?  Has anyone ever gotten HIV from mutual masturbation?
No scientist can say that there is zero chance of HIV transmission from hand-genital contact, kissing, etc.  But it's never been known to happen.  It is indeed splitting hairs to perceive a difference between zero risk (which is easier and quicker to write) and longer but more accurate science-based expression.  I can't prove I won't be hit by a meteorite tomorrow, but I consider it zero risk.
Just a FYI, I had another HIV antibody test at 6 weeks (negative), and a Home Access Test at 7 weeks (also negative).  I want to put this WELL behind me, and had a LabCorp HIV-DNA combo antibody test today.  My concern is some lingering symptoms (daily diareah, shooting pains under arms, some pain in testicles) that are unusual -- I guess they could be caused by stress though.  If the HIV-DNA test comes back negative, should I stop worrying completely -- or should I have stopped worrying entirely after the 6-week HIV antibody and 7-week Home Access (Gen 1) tests that are already negative?  I promise this is my VERY LAST question, though I will post the results of the DNA test in case it will help anyone with worries like I have too.  I hope you will reply this one more time... I appreciate you.
You're wasting an awful lot to confirm what is already proved.  The DNA test in particular was a waste.  There really isn't a need to post your negative result.

Please try to move on.  That should end this thread.
Not that it makes a difference in this post, but home access is actually updated to 2nd generation.  I called and spoke to a representative.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.