HIV - Prevention Forum

Maybe Date Rape

3.5 wks ago in Vegas I had a drunk night that resulted with me kissing a random guy at the bar. I proceeded to bring him back to the hotel suite that I was sharing w/a few other girls. The next morning I woke up naked and the guy was gone as were my panties. I do not remember if we had sex.  I have barely any recollection of him besides being a handsome, clean cut appearance.  My vaginal area did not feel sore. I haven't had sex in 9 months so I think my body would have felt sore. Since then I got my period. I'm scared this doesn't rule out anal sex. If this random guy and I had anal sex wouldn't my body feelit the next day? The reason I'm scared about this is that after I woke and used the bathroom I wiped a little bit of blood from my butt. In hindsight, this could be from being backed up and having to push when using the bathroom. I think that would make my butt bleed a little bit. Sorry for being so graphic.  

The other girls were in the room next door. If I had passed out would a guy proceed to have anal sex with me? Wouldn't he be concerned that I'd wake. Not remembering the night is a horrible feeling.

A week after that night I was tested at Planned Parenthood for chlamydia & syphillis. They said no news is good news and I haven't heard from them. Tested negative for HIV. I will go again to be tested for HIV at 4wks and again at 3 months. How much risk did I put myself at for disease?

When I read the posts on Med Help I think HIV doesn't spread easily but elsewhere you read about girls who say it was just one time and they were infected. The Vegas guy seemed straight and not someone who uses iv drugs.
I was drunk and exhausted and I don't know if 'date rape drugs' were involved.  
I would like to help, but I don't really think I can.  Of course I cannot judge whether or not you had sex; only you can tell, perhaps with the help of your roommates.  Since you are uncertain, though, you did the right thing by getting tested.  (And most Planned Parenthood clinics are excellent, by the way.)  

Statistically, the chance the partner you describe has HIV seems low -- of course I cannot know (and you probably do not) whether he might be an injection drug user or bisexual, but most likely not.  You already know you didn't catch gonorrhea or chlamydia, but you might call them and make sure that the clinic's "no news is good news" approach didn't break down.  The negative HIV test is reassuring; about 80% of newly infected people have positive tests by then.  To be even more certain, you could have one more HIV test after 6 weeks, instead of 2 tests at 1 and 3 months.  By 6 weeks, almost all infected persons have positive tests.

My final comment is this:  Consider whether you need medical advice and treatment for alcoholism.  It isn't normal or healthy to get so drunk that one's choices about sexual safety are affected, and certainly not to get so drunk as to lose memory for a night.  Even once is too much -- and if this has happened before, it definitely is cause for concern.  Please think about it.

All in all, it looks like you weren't infected with anything, even if sex occurred -- and my guess is that it did not.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your response. Planned Parenthood also recommended that I speak to someone. I'm starting counseling not for alcoholism but for childhood sexual abuse whose effects play themselves out in my adult sexual relationships. Yes, drinking too much is connected to this issue.

I didn't know HIV tests were 80% accurate at one week. That is reassuring.

Thank you again. Have a good evening.

I guess I misunderstood.  I thought your HIV test had been done at 3 weeks.  A one week result doesn't mean much.  Still, the odds are strongly in your favor.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.