HIV - Prevention Forum

Over usage of Elidel and HIV antibody test result

In 1998 I was diagnosed as positive for HSV 2, looking at my anal condition, the doctor thought it was HSV 2. I am having the anal condition from 1998 and then the scalp condition from 2000. I was using elidel(1yr) and analpram(5yrs), pramosone(1yr) and lately nystatin(last one year) for the anal hemmoriods. I was using olux foam(4yrs), extina(1yr) for the scalp irregularities. I do lot of scratching on the anal area and the scalp, due to which these medications regularly mix with the blood and I used to have heavy bleeding due to the scratching. I know that these medicines have steroids. I used analpram from 1998 and that was for five years. Later I used elidel for more than a year. The only thing I wanted to tell you again is that I was told to apply the cream inside the anus, you know what I mean, not only outside or around, that is why I got so scared. Recently I also found out that elidel should not be used for more than a month or so, because of the chances of skin cancer. I am using it for more than a year now. I might have used around 50 to 60 times so far. One more thing i forgot to tell you is that the olux foam which was given for the scalp, I sometimes used to use it on my anus. I had an unprotected sexual exposure in 2009 Jan and then I got tested for HIV 1/HIV 2 antibody test 3 times upto 1 year after the exposure. The result is negative. My question is 1) I don’t know if I have skin cancer, because of the overuse of elidel(pimecrolimus1%, recently I also found out that elidel should not be used for more than a month or so, because of the chances of skin cancer. I used it for more than a year. I might have used it 50 to 60 times so far. I always have had this anal problem and the scalp problem, from almost ten years now. I don’t know about the other medicines over usage, the doctor never told me. If I have skin cancer, does that mean that the HIV antibody test is unreliable. Should I get a PCR test for HIV, if so which tests should I get?
Welcome to the forum.  I'm only going to address your HIV risk.  I doubt you have skin cancer, but that's not an appropriate topic for this forum.

As we have said innumerable times on this forum, there are no medicines that have any effect on reliability of HIV testing.  In theory, advanced chemotherapy or potent immunosuppressive drugs might do it, but I say "in theory" because there are few if any reports of it actually happening.  Certainly topical (skin) treatment with any drug, including ones immunosuppressive effects, are likely to do it.  Your test results are reliable and you can be sure you don't have HIV.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thanks for your time.

So can i just forget about it and move on Dr. I recently got married after the HIV antibody test result after 1 year in Feb 2010.

You said any drug, what do you mean by a drug, does that mean like a pill, that i should take it from the mouth. I never took any drug for my anal or my scalp conditions, all were creams or foams.

Let us say even worst condition, assuming even if i had skin cancer, will that effect my HIV antibody test result? If so please advise me as to which PCR test do i need for HIV? I am very paraniod after i read about elidel long term usage might result in cancer.

I wanted to ask you one more question previously, but there was a limit in the characters.

I did not get tested for any STD's, should i get tested, if so which ones?
and does having any other STD's like syphilis, gonoroheea, chylamidia, herpes or Hepatitis or any others do they have any effect on HIV antibody test or delayed seroconversion.
Dr. HHH,
   I meant to say i dont know if i have skin cancer, and even if i did, do you think that would have an impact on my HIV antibody test. Because i did not take any chemotherapy or anything, according to what you said, where chemotherapy can affect the HIV antibody test result. In August 2009, i got a life insurance policy, dont you think they will check for any abnormalities, and sent me to further testing if i had cancer?

Thank you very much Doctor.
In addition to no medicines that affect HIV testing, there are no medical conditions that do so.  Severe, life-threatening illnesses -- e.g. terminal cancer -- might do it, but this too is only theoretical with few if any actual known cases.  Skin cancer cannot do it.

And yes of course:  if evidence of any serious health problem were found on a life insurance exam, you would have been told -- and the insurance probably would have been denied.

You are clearly obsessed, unreasonably so, with HIV and maybe with cancer.  If you have had a negative HIV antibody test more than 6-8 weeks after the last possible exposure, you don't have it. You can take that to the bank.  If your concern about it persists in spite of such overwhelming evidence, it might be that professional counseling is in order.  I raise this possibility out of compassion, not criticism.

Let's have no more "yes but" or "what if" questions on this thread.  It is unlikely there is any additional information you could provide that would change my opinion or advice.
Thank you so much for your advice. I have seen your education degrees and your experience, and even your photo is very nice.

I have done so much research on internet about Elidel.
   Here is what the Elidel website says, Important safety Information,
"When you and your doctor find that other treatments aren’t right for you or your child, your doctor may prescribe ELIDEL. ELIDEL is for mild to moderate eczema in adults and children 2 and older. Use ELIDEL for short periods when you, or your child, have symptoms, as directed by your doctor. Repeat as needed with breaks in between.

The safety of using ELIDEL cream for a long period of time is not known. “A very small number of people who have used ELIDEL Cream have had skin cancer or lymphoma. However, a link with the use of ELIDEL Cream has not been shown”.

Because of this

·                         Do not use ELIDEL Cream continuosly for a long time

·                         Use ELIDEL Cream only on areas of your skin that have eczema

·                         Do not use ELIDEL Cream on a child under 2 years old]]
I used it for more than year in the past, the last wast in 2007. I might have applied the cream to the anal area around 50 to 60 times so far and may be to the scalp cuts also sometimes.
One more thing i wanted to tell you is that the olux foam which was given for the scalp, I sometimes used to use it on my anus.
This was my other question above
Can i move on doctor, and forget about this, and have a happy life with my wife. I also leveled with my wife about this. Thank you.
I am sorry, in response to your answer, I am not worried about cancer, I am mainly worried about its impact on HIV antibody test, because I don't want to infect my wife.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.