HIV - Prevention Forum

Possible hiv exposure and testing.

Hello Doc.

I am 23 year old male who had sexual intercourse with a 32 year old female of unknown HIV status without a condom for the first minute then without washing my penis putted on and ejaculated inside the condom. all this happened last year, houston area, felt fine after that. Only vaginal.She is from the same group of friends.

I move to Venezuela then from february 12-16 this year I had another exposure with a female of unknown hiv status. we performed intercourse 5 times (once per day) without a condom for the first minute then I putted on without washing mi penis then ejaculated inside the condom every time, she gave me oral sex.

I know the girl since highschool, she is about to finish her college (from one of the best that I know of), she does marijuana no IV drugs. After a month I developed a cold after I slept in front of the beach, and got diarrea after. When I thought the cold was over I got a sore throat plus fever after I slept on the floor without blankets with the AC on and started to feel needle like pinch around my pubic area. started to worry, couldn't sleep, my appetite decreased, plus lost around 6 pounds in two weeks. Three months after exposure I went to a clinic and had a CBC plus HIV. They gave the results around 8 hours later it turned out HIV negative and CBC was fine. I do not know what kind of test they performed to determine the presence of HIV the only thing that it says is HIV (test pack) non reactive. I assume that it was some kind of rapid test. I currently have a swollen left tonsil and with the same needle like pinch in my pubic area plus I feel like my glands under my jaw are swollen and lost another 2 pounds, still nervous, some diarrhea, no fevers.All this happened in Venezuela.

What were my risks? Can I trust any HIV test kit or procedure done at the three month mark even if its done in another continent? what is a worldwide standard HIV test?

Thank you very much for your help
Welcome to the HIV forum.  The identical questions have been asked and answered innumerable times, so my replies are brief (see the information in the Disclaimer message).

You describe a female partner who almost certainly does not have HIV. And when a woman has HIV, the chance of transmission by unprotected vaginal sex averages once for ever 2,000 episodes of intercourse.  Symptoms never are useful indicators of new HIV infection, and it sounds like you juust caught a cold.   Finally, HIV tests more than 6 weeks after the last possible exposure are always reliable, so your result at 3 months proves you were not infected.  The same tests, with the same reliability, are used world wide.

Of course see a doctor or clinic if your symptoms persist or you remain concerned about them, but the test result proves they are not due to HIV.  From the viewpoints of transmission risk and symptoms, you didn't need HIV testing at all.  But you did it, and the result is reliable.  You can move on with no fears at all about HIV from these events.  

Regards--  HHH, MD
Another thing: are there any types of disease that can hide any trace of HIV? just curious...
No, none -- with the possible exceptions of terminal cancer and other life threatening conditions.
Hello Dr.

can you rank based on reliability at a certain time after possible hiv exposure the different HIV tests????
The time to reliably negative test results has been discussed on this forum innumerable times.  Use the search function and try terms like "seroconversion", "window period", or "time to positive", with or without the various test types.  Or search Google with similar terms.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.