HIV - Prevention Forum

Protected Sex with Thai Woman in NY

HI, I am very worried. I am a 25 year old, heterosexual, circumsized, caucasion man from New York City. Exactly 4 weeks ago I had sex with a Sex Worker in New York City. She was from Thailand which I now know has the highest prevalence of HIV in Asia. She said she's been in the states since the 1990's but I'm not sure if I believe her.
Anyway, this is exactly what happened:
I met her at her salon. I layed down on a massage bed. She put a non-lubricated condom on me (i'm not sure which kind she used). She then performed oral sex on me with the condom on. Then she took some lubrication, put some on my condom covered penis and some on her vagina. She then rode me for about 10 minutes. Then she stopped, got off of me, and took the condom off of my penis. I looked at the condom before she took it off of my penis and it did not seem as if it were torn. However, the tip of the condom did not seem to have that bubbly tip that I am used to seeing when I put on a condom. She then put some lotion on her hand and gave me a handjob until I ejaculated. Afterwards she gave me some sort of sanitizer to wipe off the cum from my penis. I put my pants on and left. I think I may have touch her vagina with my fingers a few times while she was giving me a handjob. When I got home, I checked my penis for any cuts or marks, and I saw none. That is exactly what happened.
I actually got sick last week with what I believe is a sinus infection (hopefully) Havn't been to the doctors yet. But I'm all congested with a headache and a low line fever (100.4 that only lasted for one night). I'm feeling better now after a week but now I'm even more worried that this may be symptoms of HIV. However, I'm pretty sure its a sinus infection.
What do you think the chance of being infected with HIV from this incident?
I am nervous, and this was a big mistake. I am in a relationship and do not want to put my partner at risk.
Thank you doctor. I look forward to hearing from you.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question, the core of which is "What do you think the chance of being infected with HIV from this incident?"  The answer is that there is almost no chance you caught HIV from these events.

Why not?  Most of your assumptions are wrong.  Although HIV has been common in Thailand, that's no longer the case.  That country has seen one of the most effective HIV prevention programs in the world.  Second, it is statistcially unlikely your partner had HIV, and you can safely assume she isn't infected.  Third, even with entirely unprotected sex, HIV is rarely transmitted during any single heterosexual exposure.  Fourth, you had entirely protected sex.  Fifth, your symptoms are not at all suggstive of a new HIV infection, which doesn't cause nasal congestion or other "sinus" symptoms.

Since you're nervous about it, I recommend you have an HIV test.  Negative test results typically are more reassuring than anything an expert can say based on probilities and statistics.  Enough time (4 weeks) has passed for 100% reliable testing with the duo ("4th generation") tests for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen; or you can wait until the 6 week mark for definitive results by the stand-alone HIV antibody tests.  Even thought most official advice is for testing at 3 months after the last exposure, in fact these tests are virtually 100% reliable by 4 weeks or 6 weeks, respectively.

Feel free to return with a comment to let me know the result after you are tested. In the meantime, stay mellow.  It is virtually certain you didn't catch HIV.  If I were in your situation, I wouldn't even be tested and I would be continuing unprotected sex with my wife. This really isn't the sort of exposure you need to be worried about.

Regards--  HHH, MD
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.