HIV - Prevention Forum

Risk factor for HIV

Hello, I am in panic mode...I was in Las Vegas a week ago and drank way to much and made a stupid decision to go home with someone from the bar and have unprotected sex. Now I am not sure if this person is HIV positive or not...im just getting scared by the statistics that surround black americans and HIV. He did not *** inside me... as horrible as this sounds my main concerns are that he was a black male between the ages of 20-25 and all the reports that exist stating the risk of heterosexual sex with black males. If you could be honest with me on what my chances are 2 best of your knowledge. Also I have to wait like 3 months to wait to be tested because of the window period... i think I might go insane with worry by then. I am from a small town in Canada i dont know anyone with HIV, im so scared. Anyways be honest with me. Thank you.
As you know, you have posted on the wrong site.   Questions about HIV belong on the HIV prevention site.  I will do my best to answer your questions with this reply but, if you have additional questions or follow-up they must be on the HIV Prevention site.  Sorry.

As far as an assessment of your risk I will be pleased to comment.  Your risk is very low.  Let's do the math.  for heterosexual African American men, the likelihood your partner had HIV is far less that 1% but, just for argument sake, let's say it is 1%.  Then the risk of getting HIV from a single sexual exposure in less than 1 infection per 1000 exposures.  Thus, on a statistical basis, your risk of HIV in this situation is less than 1 in 100,000 - really not something to worry about.

I also realize however that statistics are often insufficient relief for anxieties once they get started.  Thus it makes sense for you to seek peace of mind by getting tested.  In your case, testing at 4 weeks would detect 90-95% of infections acquired a month earlier.  At 8 weeks virtually all tests would be positive if you had gotten HIV. Thus for you a test at 4-8 weeks should provide you with reassurance that you did not get HIV.  

I hope these comments help.  In the meantime, believe me, you really have almost nothing to worry about.  EWH
I just noticed i put this in the wrong forum, im new to this site and didnt quite understand it. Please still help me out so i dont waste my 15 dollars.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.