HIV - Prevention Forum

Still confused and scared

Dr. Hook was very informative in answering my questions about HIV transmission. I started an IV and took off the gloves to put the dressing on and somehow got blood on my finger. I had a torn cuticle and I sometimes pick at skin around my nails. I did not see any bleeding cuts or wounds. I have read that you would have to have a large open bleeding wound for there to be a risk. I don't think I would even be worried if I was not breastfeeding. But I was told in nursing school if your hands were dry or chapped you could get HIV from blood. I had a test at 2 weeks and then 4, both negative. I was not offered PEP. I had the antibody test and Dr. Hook said that over 90% test positive by 4 weeks. I also had what I thought were symptoms 13 days after getting blood on my hand that consisted of swollen lymph gland under jaw and canker sore right side of mouth and ear aches both ears. Fatigue i always have because I work nights and I have a baby and I'm breastfeeding and living on 4 hours of sleep a day . I never had fever or a rash. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance because I dont want to hurt my baby or my husband. So I'm sorry if I have bothered you again. In relation to cuts and tears in skin, what would be a risk and can I rely on my 4 week test? Thank you for listening.
Welcome back to the Forum.  I understand your concerns and have a sense for just how the rigors of both working and caring for a newborn can be.  I remain confident that you need to worry about this exposure.  As I said, if your symptoms had been due to HIV your test would have been positive.  Try your best not to worry.  You may wish to re-test at 8 weeks to prove to yourself that you did not get HIV.  I am confident that when you do, the test will be negative.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.