HIV - Prevention Forum

TEST RESULTS

Dr. my recent results after 6 weeks of abstinence of sleeping with 10 women (protected sex), receiving unprotected oral sex is:
HIV DNA RT by PCR Negative TG
HIV-1 DNA NOT DETECTED
                                                                   .
Comment:
Patient's specimen is NEGATIVE for Human Immunodeficiency Virus
Proviral DNA by the RT Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Amplification
method. Negative results do NOT rule out the possibility of HIV
infection. PCR results should be used in conjunction with other
laboratory test results and the patient's clinical profile.
                                                                     .
This assay is currently labeled by its manufacturer "For Research Use
Only.  Not for use in diagnostic procedures".  This assay has not been
approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.  The performance
characteristics of this assay have been validated by LabCorp.
HIV 1/O/2 Abs-Index Value <1.00 <1.00  BN
Index Value: Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff.
HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual Non Reactive Non Reactive  BN

Do you think this such test is conclusive? Can I relax, or should I still be concerned and follow up with a 3 month test? What kind of value does the medical community put in PCR test?
Still worried I see.  As I told you before, yoir risk for any STD, including HIV is quite low, thus your test results do not suprise me.  Your results inidcate that you do not have HIV and should be believed.  That said, in general we do not recommend HIV PCR testing for diagnosis is HIV infection for several reasons.  While the PCR is likely to become positive more quickly than other antibody detection tests (i.e. usual blood tests), at the present time the blood tests are becoming more and more sensitive and detecting infection earlier and earlier so that the time difference in detection between PCR test and antibody detection tests is becoming smaller and smaller and at present is, in general only a week or two.  In addition the time course over which the PCR tests become positive is less well described than for the blood tests and, as a result, it is difficult to make a definitive statement on what a negative PCR test means at any time within a few weeks of exposure to a HIV infected or possibly infected partner.  PCR tests are also more expensive than regular antibody tests.  Finally and most importantly, the false positive rate for PCR tests (i.e. a positive result in persons who do not have HIV) is higher than for blood tests.  Each of this on this Forum have seen a number of people who were worried needlessly because of false positive tests. For all of these reasons, we rarely recommend testing for HIV diagnosis using PCR.  

My advice (again) would be to relax.  I see no need for further testing (of any sort).  EWH
Thanks again Dr.
Just to close the book (but not meant for you to repeat your opinion). I had a broad test of Syphillis, Herpes 1 and 2, Hepititus, ect.. done 2 weeks after last sexual encounter. All came back negative. Was that enough time to build a conclusive testing result for the above STD's?
Thanks and best wishes/blessings...
No, two weeks is not sufficient time for tests to uniformly become positive.  In terms of the time for tests to be definitively negative (tests become positive at varying times) 4-6 weeks would be definitive for syphilis, 3 months would be definitive for hepatitis viruses and we do not recommend blood test to diagnose herpes however we do know that tests can become positive for up to 6 months following acquisition of infection.   EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.