HIV - Prevention Forum

Test Reassurance

Hello Dr. and thank you for taking my questions.....

Over the last year I have convinced myself I have something from a couple of dumb unprotected sex exposures from mutual friends of unknown status.  Here are the details:  In May of 2012 I had 2 unprotected episodes.  I did the 10 panel tests via Labcorp scheduled through stdalert.com and stdexpress.com on July 9, 2012, September 10, 2012, October 15, 2012 and for the heck of it I did another on May 15th, 2013.  HIV was panel 083824

Everything came back non-reactive/negative except the HSV-1 which was positive on all results received but I understand that many folks have it and probably have had it since childhood.

Ever since the episode I have had severe fatigue, weight has fluctuated up and down for no reason, off and on testical discomfort and just have felt "off".  I've been to my GP numerous times and everything seems to be checkng out fine with him.  I didn't tell him of my testing as we are friends and he is my family Dr. Over the last year I've been diagnosed with Lot T, Vit D deficiency, B-12 deficieny and taking therapy for that but still not feeling good

After reviewing this site for the last year and a half I'm confident that my results are accurate and conclusive but wanted to aske a few questions specific to my situation.

1.  Can I consider these tests accurate and conclusive especially for HIV and Syphilis?
2.  Could my guilt and shame cause me to worry about this for over a year now even with 4 tests taken?

Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to provide me to get over this and believe my results.  Feel alone with these feelings and not sure where to turn.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question.  I'll try to ease your concerns.

As you speculated on the community forum, you have been overtested.  The HIV blood tests are among the most accurate diagnostic tests ever developed, for any medical condition, and the results overrule all other potential factors, including exposure history and symptoms.  Even if your exposures were very high risk (they were not, as best I could tell on quick scan of your older threads) and typical symptoms for a new HIV infection (yours are not at all typical), your test results prove you do not have HIV.  The same is true for syphilis; those test results also are definitive.

Those comments address question 1.  As for whether "my guilt and shame cause me to worry about this", it's pretty obvious that's exactly what is happening -- and whenever someone suggests his or her problem has a psychological origin, usually s/he is exactly right.  Further, the symptoms you describe are typical for the physical manifestations of anxiety, stress, depression, etc.  I'm not at all surprised that they haven't improved with vitamins.

If your symptoms continue, my strong advice is that you return to your physician and give him the full story -- your sexual exposure, your anxieties about it, and your multiple tests.  That's what family doctors are for!  You can be sure he will be neither shocked nor surprised and will manage your concerns with tact, sensitivity, and confidentiality.  I'll bet you'll find his opinion is the same as mine.  (You could even print out this thread and take it with you as a framework for discussion.)

In the meantime, do your best to stop worrying about HIV, syphilis, or any other infections from the sexual choices you so obviously regret.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Dr. HHH
Thank you very much for your detailed reply... Instantly made me feel a bit better about it all and I'm  going to do my best to put this behind me.  I will certainly talk to my Dr. if I have any other negative thoughts about the whole ordeal and my anxiety doesn't subside.

Thanks again and appreciate all you do.
I'm glad to have helped. Take care.
Dr. I hope you will allow me one follow up question.  Last year after my exposures I developed a sore on my middle finger which almost looked like a pimple under the skin.  I stumbled across a picture on images when I googled your name and saw a picture that looked very similar to what my finger looked like.  After more research the picture was of DGI.

My question is whith all my full panel testing whold the basic urine gonorrhea test have picked that up?  I had like 3 or 4 full panel tests.

Thanks again for all you do.
DGI doesn't behave at all like this.  There are innumerable skin conditions that could cause a lesion similar to those caused by DGI. And yes, your panels would have detected gonorrhea if you had it.

You can be 100% certain you have no medical consequences of those events.  Your continuing obsession about it is quite irrational in view of the overwhelming scientific evidence (4 lab test panels, for goodness' sake!!!) and the repeated, reasoned reassurance you have had.  It is time for professional counseling -- which I suggest out of compassion, not criticism.
Thank you and I agree with you!!  I was just SHOCKED when I saw the photo that basically looked like my finger.  I wasn't sure if DGI is a different strand or something and wouldn't be picked up by the standard Gonorrhea urine test (Neisseria gonorrhoea) administered by Labcorp.  Sounds like DGI is an advanced stage or something.

Thank you again for your service on this site.   Your comments are very reassuring.  
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.