Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV - Prevention Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Test reliability

Dr I posted early on the forum with questions regarding symptoms and exposures, I tried to continue with another question but It didn´t work so I´m just here to make a question about test reliability since I already took my test.

I took a general stds and hiv 1 2 antibody test with negative results at almost two months after the first exposure and 5 or 6 weeks after the second exposure.

Can I rely on the results?
1 Responses
239123 tn?1267651214
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Welcome back to the forum.

The HIV tests for sure are reliable and prove you did not catch HIV.  As we discussed a few weeks ago, you had a very low risk exposure as well.  See this thread for more detail about HIV test reliability:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts//show/1704700

You don't say what other STD tests were done.  Probably a urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia; those results are 100% reliable any time more than 2-3 days after the last exposure.  A syphilis blood test needs to be done at least 6 weeks after exposure for reliable results.  No other blood tests were necessary or recommended, but probably those are reliable except for herpes.  The HSV blood test may not become positive until 3-4 months after exposure.

Best regards--  HHH, MD
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.