HIV - Prevention Forum

Testing after a rape

I was raped six weeks ago. A man broke into my house and raped me while I was sleeping. I woke to him yell profane words at me and told me he gave me hiv. I took a six week hiv test today. Two weeks after the rape I was not sure if he came back and raped me again b/c my clothes were on a little different and I had a lot of wetness.

My question is the six week test conclusive even if i might have been violated two weeks after the first incodent?

All I can say is that a test 6 weeks after the last exposure is close to 100% certain.  However, after sexual assault, most authorities recommend a final test 3 months after the event.

You're the only one who can judge whether or not you were sexually assaulted a second time.  Just be sure you are tested a final time at least 3 months after the last possible exposure.  But in the meantime, the negative result 6 weeks after the first event (possibly only 4 weeks after a second event) still is highly reassuring.

You need to be tested for other STDs as well, if that hasn't been done.

HHH, MD
Two weeks after the rape I was not sure if he came back and raped me again b/c my clothes were on a little different and I had a lot of wetness.

You're not sure????  I doubt anyone sleeps through a rape..
I doubt anything happened to me two weeks after the rape but I wanted to be sure that if anything did happen the six week test covered it. I take kolonopin that makes me sleep really deep so yes, it's possible that something happened again.
Hello Dr
I'm new in this forum. After reading many threads i'm a little confused about your answers.
You recommend in this thread a 3 month test. However in your previous answers you said 6-8 weeks are enough.
For example: in a thread from 28/10 you say "You do not need HIV testing at 12 and 24 weeks; a single test at 6-8 weeks would be sufficient."
How can a rape be so different from any other sexual exposures?
Please answer me as I'm approaching my 6 week mark and obviously i'm under a lot of pressure.
Thank you very much
6-8 weeks is fine for rape as well as anything else. However, so many authorities still recommend 3 months following rape, that it is less confusing to simply go with the flow in that circumstance.

The higher the risk, the more important to have a late test at say 3 months.  This has been discussed in detail; search the archives for "time to positive HIV test" and "HIV diagnosis".

HHH, MD
Thank you doctor for your quick reply.
I did search in the archives but couldn't find what's different about rape.
What do you mean by saying "The higher the risk, the more important to have a late test at say 3 months"?
I'm sorry if it seems that i'm repeating my question but i just couldn't understand why the risk is higher in rape even after searching the archives.
Moreover, if tests are indeed conclusive after 6-8 weeks why would i have to test after 3 months?
Should i wait 3 months to get tested?
Once again- thank you very much.
I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic experience.  All I kept thinking when readin your post was why didn't you go to the emergency room after he raped you?  Especially after cruely stated he gave you hiv.  I would think that would warrant PEP.  Anyway for one time exposure, it's like 1/1000 chance he passed it on to you (if even did have hiv.)  I will definatly keep you in my thoughts and keep my fingers crossed.  Did they catch this guy?  I'm very disgusted at this whole situation.
Yikes!!!!!That happens to be a million dollar question. I am willing to spend 3/4th of my net worth if someone can answer that. If only Einstein was alive :-)

P.S: I know I have lost it
Is the 3 month test necessary. You later wrote that 6-8 weeks is usually fine for a rape.
What I meant to say in my last post is would my test I took yester day six weeks possibly four week test be conclusive/accurate? I don't want to take a three month test unless it is absolutely necessary.

As I said originally, "a test 6 weeks after the last exposure is close to 100% certain. However, after sexual assault, most authorities recommend a final test 3 months after the event."  So the final testing time is up to you.

HHH, MD
I don't think the doctor can be any more thorough than he already has been.
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.