HIV - Prevention Forum

Testing

Hello from Texas,          
       I had a sexual encounter on December 7th, 2009. It was not aggressive. Lasted mmmmm maybe 2/3 minutes. I believed he pulled. It was unprotected. I had a HIV 1/2 Elisa and WB to follow. The results were negative. Should I retest or is a little over ten weeks sufficiant? I have not been with anyone since December 7th,2009.

Thank you

Results of HIV tests are conclusive at 8 weeks following exposure.  Some governmental agencies recommend a 3 month period to be sure but they are really out of date and overly conservative.  At this time, six months following exposure you can be completely sure that you did not get HIV.  You have no reason for concern and do not need further testing.  Take care.  EWH
I have cried today off and on. You say 6 month's you can be completely sure or did you mean 6 weeks? Because the 7th of this month will be 6 month's since I had my testing done. But you mentioned no further testing is needed. So i take it having another test will be a waste of time and money since my Reflex WB came back negative at 10.5 weeks.
I understood you to say you ahd been tested 6 moths after exposure.  If you had a negative test for HIV at 10.5 months, you can be confident that you do not have HIV.  You do not need further testing.  You do not have HIV and have no reason to worry aobut HIV.  EWH
No...no...It was 10 .5 weeks. Shy of 3 months.
I appologize that I had not made myself clear. If I were to test monday... it will have been 6 month's. My last encounter was 10.5 WEEKs when I had the initial testing done. Like you said... I am only shy a week or so shy of three months. I know you read about the pain and anquish that people put themselves through on this Forum. We do it to ourselves indeed, but i would like to add that everyone that takes the time to ask questions on here has the up-most respect for your profession. I do appreciate your time and knowledge.

Mommy
My apoloiges.  It was late and I mis-typed.  You do not have HIV.  Your negative test at 10.5 WEEKS is proof that you are not infected.  Again, sorry for the confusion.  EWH
Good morning,
       No problem. I am sure you have very long days and your wanting to unwind like everyone else does when evening hits,  The reason why I had come so concerned is when I was told that a WB is only done when the Elisa was showing a possitive. My blood pressure went sky-high. But from what I have been told... the WB is one of the most sensitive tests out there and was done to confirm the test as a negative. Everyone seem's to stick to that 3 month window. Like you said, they are being very conservative. A desease that is so deadly and acts so quickly to the emune system  you would think that the symptoms would show rapidly within a month or so. Except for special cases. Again thank you for being here for me.
Glad to help.  Take care.  EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.