HIV - Prevention Forum

Unprotected Oral, French Kiss

Dear Doctor(s),
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am in a very hopeless state of mind right now. 5 weeks ago I participated in oral cunninglings with a high risk CSW. The CSW was an african american female from a low income urban area. I am a 22 year old male college student. During the encounter I French kissed her for a total of 20 seconds during which a lot of saliva was exchanged. She also gave me a quick "bj" which lasted 20 seconds. I did not "cum" during this because I had been drinking. I also sucked on her nipples for 30 seconds during which she asked if I liked her "milk". She also told me she had a kid so it is possible she was breast feeding at the time. I did not taste any milk, but I was drunk. At 4 weeks and 5 days (thursday 10/21) I woke up in the morning with a sore throat. As the day progressed I developed a fever, swollen neck lymph nodes, achy body all over, and for the past two nights I've had night sweats. I have not had diahhrea, rash, loss of appetite, chills, or tiredness. I feel better today (2 days later) but the fever is still lingering and I can tell I will have another fever tonight with night sweats. I tend to get sinus infections quite often but this is not a sinus infection. I never get this kind of sick and the fact that its occurring within the ARS time period means it is not a coincidence, but HIV.  
1) What are my chances of getting HIV through the French kissing, nipple sucking, and the breif bj?
3) What other STDs can I get from this encounter?
4) If saliva is not contagious, how is it possible to get HIV from recieving a bj from a woman when bjs also involve saliva?
5)What is your personal evaluation of my symptoms? Do you think I need testing or can I move on with my life? I am trying to face this head on so could you please be as blunt as possible.
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to provide some information.  The exposures you describe did not place you at risk for HIV. Most commercial sex workers, do not have HIV. Even if your partner did, HIV is not spread by kissing, including French kissing, ingestion of a partner's saliva or breast milk or giving or receiving oral sex.  Your symptoms do have some of the characteristics of the acute retroviral syndrome but these are the same symptoms as the symptoms of a huge number of other viral illnesses which are far, far more common than the ARS.  

In answer to your specific questions:
1.  No risk for HIV from oral sex (giving or receiving). The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  

3.  Few STDs are spread through oral sex.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through receipt of oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection).  From cunnilingus your only meaningful risk is for oral gonorrhea and that is uncommon. Your sore throat is not due to gonorrhea.  Nearly all oral gonorrhea is asymptomatic.

4.  See above.  HIV is not spread through oral sex.

5.  I commented above about symptoms.  There really is no medical indication for testing.  if you desire to do so for peace of mind, testing for bacterial STDs will be diagnostic at this time and an HIV test would detect close to 95% of HIV infections acquired over 5 weeks ago.

I hope these comments are helpful. EWH
Thank you for the prompt response doctor. Reading from what you have told me. I did not place myself at risk for HIV, my illness is from another more common virus, there is no need to test and most importantly I can move on with my life and forget about this stupid mistake? If i do choose to test, will it most likely be negative? (just for furthur peace of mind) Thanks again.
Please see my earlier comments. There is no need for me  to repeat myself.  

We do not engage in debate with information from other web sights.  You can find anything you want on the interent.  You will have to decide who you believe. EWH
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.