HIV - Prevention Forum

Worried--testing question

Around the end of july I had a relationship with a woman that was abusing crack cocaine and god knows what else. I was not aware of this until I started hearing things about her. I dated her for 8 weeks and got a negative rapid test at about 4 weeks---if I get down to the wire 3 weeks 26 days---so lets say 4 weeks. The person at the testing center advised me that at 4 weeks everyone will usually test positive who is and some even sooner. I read the same info on the NYC state website----she did say that if I wanted to for peace of mind to come back in 12 weeks---I was fine with that--and decided that my results were good and I didnt need to come back...recently i started hearing rumors about how way out there she was--and it scared me even more----called the same testing center and a counselor--not an HIV tester---a phone counselor said 4 weeks no good---then I called the GMHC hotline in new york---they said 4 weeks for vaginal--I been dating her for 8 weeks---test was good but it was up to me to test out--cdc guidelines are more black and white and thats why they say 13 weeks....So am I doomed? Do I need to go back and test? Am I really over worrying--or should i be...?????
The first counselor at the testing center and the one from Gay Mens Health Crisis (GMHC) were correct.  The one in the middle was too conservative.  If you'll scan this forum, you will find innumerable discussions about the fact that 85-90% of newly infected people have positive HIV tests by 4 weeks, so your early negative test result is strong evidence you didn't catch HIV from your drug-using partner.  CDC and many health departments indeed take the conservative/cautious stance that it takes 3 months (i.e., 13 weeks) to be absolutely certain, but it almost never takes that long for standard antibody tests to become positive.

The odds are very strong your partner didn't have HIV, despite her drug use, assuming she was not a needle-sharing  injection drug user.  But I understand the value of testing for peace of mind.

In summary, you can be highly confident you don't have HIV and you can expect your follow-up test at 3 months to also be negative.  For more information, use the search link to find many detailed discussions; try search terms "HIV test", "seroconversion", or "window period".

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.